Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't worry about it as it is cosmetic. I tend to view it as a stress issue, not just food, kind of like the lines you see in your finger nails. For me, I tend to see it in young stags raised in close quarters with other birds that may be more dominant. For this reason, I try to separate out the young stags, generally have to anyway. I may pen them with a young pullet that will not dominate them.

question, I have a six month old Harold Brown Gray stag that I notice as his tail feathers have grown in, that they have lines going across them. I'll have to get a new picture of him, as the one seen here is about a month ago, and he's now grown some since. I had them in a large pen that didn't have grass but I'd grab some grass and fallen apples as the fall season hit along with free choice layer pellets once they were four months old. Yet these lines in his tail feathers say he went hungry off and on through this molt. Is this from not feeding scratch grains that would have prevented this? I don't see any of this in the pullet I also have or the other regular chickens I raised with them. And I see it's only in his tail feathers. Nothing wrong with his wings. Thanks ahead of time for any thoughts on this!
View attachment 1196031 View attachment 1196032

Fret lines? Could be caused by any number of things, deworming during molting is known to cause them, stress, roosting habits (tail too close to wall or pen sides) or can be genetic like havoc mentioned... doesn't affect him in any way negatively though...

Nice pair...

Preposterous
I speaks the truth. Even if you don’t believe it’s beneficial to them physically it’s sure as hell good for their minds. Kinda like me or you eating cookies or brownies. Ain’t good for ya but sure gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Not everything can be explained about animals, food etc. science will only take you so far. Last I checked a scientist or any other human didn’t create animals.

I have some birds that eat a ton, some eat very little. Same with water. They are all different like people. So what I’m really trying to say is my chickens are happier than yours! Ha

Well, you do have a point I think about them preferring the scratch. The birds meet me at the door waiting but they are not eating much of the pellets! I'll see what happens with this guy next year. And yes, they are fret lines in the growing tail feathers. I don't see it in any other feathers on him nor any lines in the pullet's feathers. Anyhow, will see if goes away at next molt next year.

IMG_5089.JPG

Should do the trick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom