Show off your Peas!

Awesome! They sure are enjoying it. I always catch mine eating a little grass between eating their regular feed. The ryegrass gets really nice around the roosting areas because of all the poo fertilizing it, and they don't like eating any grass around poo of course, so it grows especially nice in those areas.

I had a crazy idea. Have a 16 year old boy on a 19 year Quarter Horse Stallion with a year old Spalding Split to White peahen. Results amazing photos! Neither Thora nor Jack freaked out or acted up.
I always thought that would be a cool thing to try. I forgot the people - but there are people who ride horses and on one arm they have a big eagle that they use to hunt. They ride their horses around until they see something like a fox, then they let the eagle go and it catches the fox for them. Now all you need is some cool armor on and an action shot.

They are not arriving
hit.gif
something ate their heads off last i heard
he.gif
refund check is suppose to be coming back to me, i will make a trip to pick some up myself next time, lesson learned.
So sorry Zaz! I was excited to see you get those birds.
sad.png

There are a few breeders in Texas i can go to, i can do a road trip do me good to get away for a couple days, i been selling alot of birds this months so i will be bringing home more than just silvers when i go, i want babies so i got to wait till next breeding season.
I can not decide weather i want bronze ,opals or pure greens just yet but if i am going to make a trip for silvers i am coming home with another color for sure
wink.png
Oooh so you are considering green peafowl? Bronze and Opal are not that bad. I like them more now then I did. I think I would go with Bronze over the Opal though.

So if you decided to get greens, would you try free-ranging them? People say they like to wander more than India Blue varieties, but I have read of people who did free range them. Kelly of Read Mountain Peafowl sometimes lets some of his tame green peafowl out for a bit then pens them. You have so much land I don't think they would be so hard to free-range, especially since you are used to teaching peafowl how to free-range. I don't know if you would be able to find young green peachicks for sale though and I know that is probably what you would be looking for. It would be very interesting to try for sure and to see how aggressive a green peacock would be to the India Blue males during breeding season. One person who free-ranged them said the India Blue peacocks were no match for a green peacock. Doug of DM Farm I think is in Texas, and he has Javas and Burmese and he sent me Burmese eggs last year, so he might sell you some eggs or chicks if you are interested.

I like the greens but I realize they would be so much prettier if you could free-range them. I love looking at photos of them in the wild crossing a creek and roosting up high in trees. Maybe someday I will have so many green peafowl that I could afford to try free-ranging some.
roll.png

I took some photos a few days ago, so I will have to upload those in a bit.

Frosty is growing his train in quickly.

Peep lets me get good detail photos. These are his neck feathers.

Peep

I used flash to capture the dark breast feather colors better.

Frosty

Frosty's pretty sister Shyanne.

Ice on the other side of the bamboo clump.

The two stumps in the peafowl pen are popular spots for the peafowl to preen on top of. I also put food up there.

Peep on the left and Alto on the right both looking at my feet. Both of them like to follow me around the pen and sometimes I think Alto hopes I will mistake him for Peep and give him extra treats...He has tricked me a few times.

One of the white peahens eating. I have trouble telling who is who from a distance. I have to see their face or their spurs to tell them apart. Snow White has 2 beauty marks on her beak and Shyanne usually has a yellower face, a tighter crest, and spurs.

Frosty falling asleep - as usual!

Shyanne

Frosty preening

Since I changed the roost design, Frosty seems to use it a lot more in the day time.

Here are all of the peacocks in one shot. Alto is on the ground, Peep is on the stump, and Frosty is on the perch. Shyanne is the peahen in the background.

Ice and Damsel sharing a meal.

YUM
tongue.png

Snow White

Frosty is growing his train in quickly.

Peep lets me get good detail photos. These are his neck feathers.

Peep

I used flash to capture the dark breast feather colors better.

Frosty

Frosty's pretty sister Shyanne.

Ice on the other side of the bamboo clump.

The two stumps in the peafowl pen are popular spots for the peafowl to preen on top of. I also put food up there.

Peep on the left and Alto on the right both looking at my feet. Both of them like to follow me around the pen and sometimes I think Alto hopes I will mistake him for Peep and give him extra treats...He has tricked me a few times.

One of the white peahens eating. I have trouble telling who is who from a distance. I have to see their face or their spurs to tell them apart. Snow White has 2 beauty marks on her beak and Shyanne usually has a yellower face, a tighter crest, and spurs.

Frosty falling asleep - as usual!

Shyanne

Frosty preening

Since I changed the roost design, Frosty seems to use it a lot more in the day time.

Here are all of the peacocks in one shot. Alto is on the ground, Peep is on the stump, and Frosty is on the perch. Shyanne is the peahen in the background.

Ice and Damsel sharing a meal.

YUM
tongue.png

Snow White

Pretty peas!!!
love.gif

Beautiful pics everyone!!! Zaz, I loved your puppy pics!! Especially that first one!! :lau

Sounds like a lot of you have plans for some gorgeous new birds come spring. I'm hoping to find some birds to replace the two I lost this fall to the hawks. Guess we'll see what's available come spring.

Peanut decided it was just TOO COLD to come out and play this morning, and that he would rather stay in his nice cozy bed until it warms up.

Big Blue once again had other things on his mind besides breakfast:

But everyone else went ahead and had breakfast without them
gig.gif

Interesting border line ! ... sometime look green ... sometime black !
I find a total other type ...... the belly is different !

Dany, whose birds are these? Where are the photos from? Could you please tell us on your posts? Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom