Show off your Peas!

lau.gif
it was a rabbit.... silly peas!
No,No,No, They were smart, it was probably a wererabbit.

The big kids have been getting to go outside when it's nice out (there were 2-3 nights of "freeze") and they're just too cute not to share.
Love it when they puff out their neck feathers, reminds me of those snooty English ladies with their big fur coats. :)

The original four:
Muppet, Olav, Casper, and Hiccup

The Opal B/S boys Mike and Ike, and the IB B/S split Opal boy.

My question is, though, I have to IB B/S boys (so I was told) and they look completely different. Granted they are only a couple weeks apart, but even a couple weeks ago, the IB B/S split Opal didn't look like Olav does.
the split Opal has BLACK, pure black, where as Olav has a dusty grey color. The split Opal also has a very white/light colored head, and Olav's is cream colored with dusty grey eyebrows. I'm just confused... What do you think?
Olav is on the left, then IB B/S split Opal, then Opal B/S.

Opal B/S, Olav ("IB B/S") and IB B/S split Opal (You can really see how blue he is getting)

IB B/S on the left, Olav is on the right.

Sorry for the bad quality on those last three pics, I couldn't see the screen so I basically point and clicked without aiming really lol.
Thanks! :D

Thank you! They're silly birds. I thought you'd like the video. :)
So I have some AWESOME news! I emailed Donn Maynard, the man I bought Olav, Casper, and Hiccup from, and asked him if he thinks that my "IB Silver Pied" is an Opal Silver Pied, and he said that it looks like it is an Opal Silver Pied hen! Also he offered to sell me his 6 year old Opal Silver Pied male!!!!!!! This might just be too good an offer to refuse... Even though I already have two Opal Black Shoulder males..... I don't think I can say no!

I'm wondering if your lighter shaded Opal from here is going to become a hen? Doug told me Opals are very,very slow to change color and if an Opal b/s hen she will be about 95% all white except for a few tail feathers that will be all opal-gray in color.Both my Opal B/S hens was purchased at Mt Hope and one of them I had missed seeing on the racks until during the auction they announced an Opal B/S hen,,I at that time only had purchased 1 hen,,6littlechickies bought one which I tried to buy from them to no avail,but when this last Opal B/S hen came in I bid to win her.She has significantly more black spattering across her back compared to the hen I can easily see is 100% OPAL B/S,,,but the fact remains both your older chicks came from the first two eggs laid in that pen,and they both was laid on the same day.Evidently my my second Opal B/S hen that has all the black showing across her back must have Opal in her genetics somewhere for you to have 2 Opal first hatched chicks,but then your younger Opal which looks like an IB had to come from the second speckled backed Opal-IB B/S hen.You could have a pair of Opal B/S birds and the last an IB/B/S split to Opal B/S,,,
I at this point don't know whether to leave the specked with black B/S hen in this Opal pen next year or not.I have 2 nice Opal hens that will be 2 years old next year to add with Opie,one is Opal Pied,the other is straight Opal.As I stated a long time ago here I hate unpredictibility,,and with this oddball hen in this pen goes against the "guessing game" when identifying chicks.

I guess it's a girl, and when I first got "her" she looked like she was a white out of a Silver Pied, then the grey started coming in, and every week it seems the color is a bit darker. The photos of the Opal Silver Pied in Leggs photo gallery have grey on the back of their neck and on their "eyebrows" like mine does:
P1090494.jpg

pics1-5-12%20052.jpg

Mine will not be Opal B/S, so there will be more Opal coloring showing up at a younger age than there would be on an Opal B/S I think.

I'm confident that the third boy from you is an IB B/S split to Opal, but that confuses me when it comes to my guy Olav that I thought was IB B/S, but looks very different from the one I got from you. Anyone know what Purple B/S males look like as youngsters?

Back
Top Bottom