Silkie Holiday Hatch-a-long

This is Darla Yacub from FB :)
The only thing I miss about FB posting is that you cannot click "like" on someones comment here on BYC.
I did candle tonight but the embryos don't show up very clearly in a photo. I am excited and surprised that 21 if the silkie eggs are developing. I mean, I never see the rooster (Leo Pierre) doing his job but he sure must have.
About 10 were infertile pullet eggs or just too old.
This is about as good as I could get with my phone camera:

I am so excited..I am having my very fist "hatch" due this coming Monday....so hoping everything goes ok. I was wondering when and where you pencil in the air sack.....
Hope everyone has a super fun time :)

I am also wondering....when you guys say " lockdown" and to stop the turner....what happens if you put an egg in a week after the first ones you started?

Jacqueline Manning
Hi its me.....LOL All I have is 3 lonely silver partridge silkies. Due on the 13th................9 days whoot whoot

Thanks for posting your name. I am Judith Wagner. :D Mine are due on the 10th. We have a snow storm coming tomorrow night so I'm hoping no power outages. It got down to 11 degrees last night. A record cold for this date, I believe. Ugh! I shouldn't complain. When I watch the news I don't know how people survive these ice storms....

Thanks for posting your name. I am Judith Wagner. :D Mine are due on the 10th. We have a snow storm coming tomorrow night so I'm hoping no power outages. It got down to 11 degrees last night. A record cold for this date, I believe. Ugh! I shouldn't complain. When I watch the news I don't know how people survive these ice storms....
I am Sherry Fischer! Good to have a reminder of who is who here. We havent been as cold as you are Judith ,but cold... ugh! I hate cold! I have just moved my chicks out to the brooder room... I hope they are ok out there.

Hi Judith!!!! We are Facebook friends too!

I am so excited..I am having my very fist "hatch" due this coming Monday....so hoping everything goes ok. I was wondering when and where you pencil in the air sack.....
Hope everyone has a super fun time :)

I draw my 1st air sac 24 hrs after setting, then again at days 7, 14, and at lockdown on day 18.

I am also wondering....when you guys say " lockdown" and to stop the turner....what happens if you put an egg in a week after the first ones you started?

I dont have to worry about that as I have a cabinet and at "lockdown" my eggs come out of the turner and go into a separate area to hatch. What you can do is, most turners have a way to remove some of the turner racks. I would take out all the racks leaving just enough to hold the eggs that need to remain turning. Then place the eggs in lockdown in the space where you removed the racks. Most will have a separate are to place the eggs hatching!

Back
Top Bottom