Silkie Holiday Hatch-a-long

This is Darla Yacub from FB
smile.png

The only thing I miss about FB posting is that you cannot click "like" on someones comment here on BYC.
I did candle tonight but the embryos don't show up very clearly in a photo. I am excited and surprised that 21 if the silkie eggs are developing. I mean, I never see the rooster (Leo Pierre) doing his job but he sure must have.
About 10 were infertile pullet eggs or just too old.
This is about as good as I could get with my phone camera:
Well at least you can tell it's not clear!

I am so excited..I am having my very fist "hatch" due this coming Monday....so hoping everything goes ok. I was wondering when and where you pencil in the air sack.....
Hope everyone has a super fun time :)
Always fun (and a bit stressful
wink.png
) to do a hatch-a-long with a first timer!
wee.gif

I am also wondering....when you guys say " lockdown" and to stop the turner....what happens if you put an egg in a week after the first ones you started?
Yes, lockdown refers to the period 3 - 4 days before hatch when to stop turning or rocking. Hopefully someone else can assist you on the best way to do a staggered hatch.

Day 13, everything looks awesome!
Looking good!!
jumpy.gif

I am so excited..I am having my very fist "hatch" due this coming Monday....so hoping everything goes ok. I was wondering when and where you pencil in the air sack.....
Hope everyone has a super fun time :)

I used to be the candling-queen but I really try not to bother them so much while they are incubating. I try to limit myself to an initial candling around Day 5/6 to get rid of clears and again on Day 17/18 before lockdown.
Here are some old pictures of air cells that I drew onto the egg. I pencil them on to make sure the air space is enlarging but also so I can set the lowest point "up" toward the window. I read someplace that they always pip at the lowest point and following that idea hasn't failed me in the last 2 years of hatching. I love to watch them hatch.

I used to be the candling-queen but I really try not to bother them so much while they are incubating. I try to limit myself to an initial candling around Day 5/6 to get rid of clears and again on Day 17/18 before lockdown.
Here are some old pictures of air cells that I drew onto the egg. I pencil them on to make sure the air space is enlarging but also so I can set the lowest point "up" toward the window. I read someplace that they always pip at the lowest point and following that idea hasn't failed me in the last 2 years of hatching. I love to watch them hatch.

Cool!

Mine is just the Brinsea mini Advance...it only hatches 7 eggs at a time....at 8 days 6 out of the 7 eggs had veins and looked good so I pulled the 7th egg and put a new one one...it is looking like it should but now my eggs are due to hatch on Monday and the other egg is due a week later....Not sure what to do

We candled tonight even though it is only day 5. Looks like we have 4 visible embryos, 5 eggs with some veining, 6 clear and 1 with a blood ring. We don't seem to have luck with eggs that are really porous.

Here are a few pics:
a5uqa6ag.jpg
ma7abu7a.jpg
taqegy2y.jpg
dybupara.jpg

We candled tonight even though it is only day 5. Looks like we have 4 visible embryos, 5 eggs with some veining, 6 clear and 1 with a blood ring. We don't seem to have luck with eggs that are really porous.

Here are a few pics:
a5uqa6ag.jpg
ma7abu7a.jpg
taqegy2y.jpg
dybupara.jpg

My best mutt chicken hatched from a porous egg, you just never know. I also dont handle them much now. I did today to take a picture for the group. But I can candle just fine from the turner. That way I never have to touch them. I am very excited about these silvers!!!!

I have a blue cream in the chicken hospital. I do well checks 3 times a day. Noticed him first thing this morning. Everyone came out to drink and greet me, he stayed in the coop. He was back in the corner all fluffed up. Thought he might just be cold, so I kept an eye on him all day. He didnt want to walk around much, and didnt come to treat call. So at bedtime I brought him in. Poop is normal, crop is good and full, so he must have ate today. But he just doesnt want to move around. We will see what the morning brings.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom