Silkie Holiday Hatch-a-long

I would love to have a paint silkie! I just looked at that color the other day! I think I have a lavender, splash, buff, red and some that are just sizzles. I can't wait to see those colors.
If these 12 eggs hatch, I will have 17 silkies... I will need to find homes for the ones I don't need... after this hatch, I hope to have enough to raise my own and play around with colors.
I have two black polish with white heads that I may house with a few silkies and see what turns up? I've seen pictures of polish X silkie... very interesting!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Hello, @1 Critter Camp (and everyone else) you are on lockdown now for your 12? I did my 14 day candle/weigh last night, all 18 are still a go at this point, weight is slightly off on one of the eggs, but not by too much, so i'm still hopeful. I cannot believe hatch day is almost upon us! less than a week to go!!!! woohooo!!!! I do have 2 viable paints growing too! think it's two of everything else, 4 bbs, and then 1 partridge. I am going to be going crazy on lockdown sunday, and everyday after that until hatch!!!
wee.gif

Hello, @1 Critter Camp (and everyone else) you are on lockdown now for your 12? I did my 14 day candle/weigh last night, all 18 are still a go at this point, weight is slightly off on one of the eggs, but not by too much, so i'm still hopeful. I cannot believe hatch day is almost upon us! less than a week to go!!!! woohooo!!!! I do have 2 viable paints growing too! think it's two of everything else, 4 bbs, and then 1 partridge. I am going to be going crazy on lockdown sunday, and everyday after that until hatch!!!
wee.gif

KV Silkies...
I am on lock down day 19... I just had one pip the wrong end... AND WE are having storms and our electricity just flashed off... I had my husband go get the generator and we have everything ready if the electricity goes out...
I added a sponge and the humidity is perfect...
I had some people tell me not to get the egg out and a couple tell me too... I gave in and hopefully didn't mess up... it is so hard to watch something die when you think you might can save them all...
I reached in quickly and then immediately added warm water. If it were day 21 I would not have but given that it is a couple days early before scheduled hatch day I reached in quickly and removed it. Literally not even a second!
I gently opened the air hole that was already pipped and then placed it in a different incubator. While I was taking pictures of it, the egg completely rolled to the other side.. I can see its beak getting air... I hope I am rewarded for the risk!!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
I am going to let a hen do this next time.. this is too much stress
hit.gif

KV Silkies...
I am on lock down day 19... I just had one pip the wrong end... AND WE are having storms and our electricity just flashed off... I had my husband go get the generator and we have everything ready if the electricity goes out...
I added a sponge and the humidity is perfect...
I had some people tell me not to get the egg out and a couple tell me too... I gave in and hopefully didn't mess up... it is so hard to watch something die when you think you might can save them all...
I reached in quickly and then immediately added warm water. If it were day 21 I would not have but given that it is a couple days early before scheduled hatch day I reached in quickly and removed it. Literally not even a second!
I gently opened the air hole that was already pipped and then placed it in a different incubator. While I was taking pictures of it, the egg completely rolled to the other side.. I can see its beak getting air... I hope I am rewarded for the risk!!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
I am going to let a hen do this next time.. this is too much stress
hit.gif
hoping your egg does good! it is terribly stressful!! I am not sure i'd be doing this round after my crappy last round if my eggs hadn't already been ordered..... don't have any eggs lined up for after this round, so will take it easy for a bit and hopefully be taking care of my hatchlings!!! come on 02/26!!!
pop.gif

So far, both are doing well. NO MORE have pipped, its day 20 and I am getting worried. I don't know why this is so hard!
Anyway, the two that have pipped on the wrong end are doing well... they are still moving, chirping and I have been able to remove a little more of the shell but left the membrane. They are still wrapped in wet paper towels and look good.
NOW I just need to see some more pipping!!

@TwinArrowsFarm Hi! Will set them tomorrow night. Just got them today. I have more coming from diff breeder Monday. All of my point of lay from last year were killed last Sunday by a coon. Lost my whole silkie/ showgirl flock. :( so now I'm rebuilding. Are you joining hatxhalong also?

@jorey Oh no!! That's tterrible. I'm so sorry to hear that. I just ordered eggs that should be here Wednesday or Thursday. I was going to see if you wanted to hatch along? Any news active threads you know of?

I@TwinArrowsFarm i' ll hatch a long with ya. The easter hatchalong thread is really active. Funny and full of info also. I have barred rocks coming for that hatch. You don't have to participate in the hatch to read and post on the thread. Thanks for the sorry. I coulsnt believe it when I went out to do chores and they were dead. So I've been restocking them. I have the five from the first hatxh we did then the only 3 eggs from my flock I got are in bator and on day 11 going strong. Just put some in today and I'll put some in end of this week. My plans for selling silkies just got put back a year is all.

Back
Top Bottom