Silkie thread!

my silkie crosses, silkie hen, lf cochin roo

they are midway inbetwwen the size of both parents. about the size of a small laying chicken like a leghorn. another bonus is that this cross is easy to sex, pullet in first picture, cockerals in second picture, even as chicks, pullets get lacing on their wing feathers, cockerals do not, so easy to sex even after they just start to get their wing feathers.

my silkie crosses, silkie hen, lf cochin roo

they are midway inbetwwen the size of both parents. about the size of a small laying chicken like a leghorn. another bonus is that this cross is easy to sex, pullet in first picture, cockerals in second picture, even as chicks, pullets get lacing on their wing feathers, cockerals do not, so easy to sex even after they just start to get their wing feathers.

Wonderful, thanks! Very pretty birds. Mine were a black silkie and a blue AM so I don't really have the lacing to go by. Two chicks are black and one a dark blue. They have great beards, getting that gene from both parents, and a smaller "crest".

Mine were an unplanned pairing and I've rehomed the cockerel. Now I think small light blue egg layers would be adorable. I wish I could sex them easier.... Thanks!

The silkies

My paint roo he is beardless but other then that I love him!!

My New cuckoo's also my new paint hen in there too she isn't very spotty but she sure is pretty.

Last edited:

Quick pic of one of the new babies
love.gif
So far, 3 have hatched (one needed a little help) and 2 more are pipping that I can tell. This one is the driest, and I can already tell he has feathering on all of his sweet little toes.
Hey girl! Congrats on your new babies
jumpy.gif

Look!!! So cute!! My 5 1/2 week old Silkie/Sizzles just took their 1st dust bath!!

So cute! Thanks for sharing.

I am hoping to get Some Black, Partridge, Blue, and Buff Silkies this spring!! I love Silkies!
It's so exciting, isn't it, to get new silkies!

Lol that cracked me up. He is so handsome!
What a stud muffin!!! Just love him.

So I lost Teriyaki last week to blocked digestive tract. Now I have Parmesano going down hill real fast. She was active this morning, by tonight she is hardly able to stand and in pain. Crop was rock hard, got EVOO and Molasses down and now crop is empty. I am hope she is strong enough to make it through the night, but it does not look good. I don't want weak bird but it is still hard to watch them when in pain.
I am so sorry that you have lost two babies. So hard to feel like your hands are tied and can't help.

I use coarse sand and I love it! It's way better than shavings as I have to use them on some indoors spots.
I changed from shavings in my coop to course river sand. Other sands, including play sand, can harm your chickens due to other ingredients in the sand that can cause respiratory illness. Using sand is like cat litter you just scoop out the poop and wet spots or you can rake. I have chosen a small rake and it works well for me.

Beautiful babies everyone!!!
clap.gif

He's my little darling today:

Jeanann ~ so cute and I'm so happy to see you have a wonderful beautiful chick.
jumpy.gif

Congrats on your babies
smile.png
I just love hatch days, it's like Christmas, you never know what your going to get
smile.png
So true Kimmi! I can't wait to get my breeding pen built so I can start getting serious. The two splash I just purchased and my blue will go in a pen then the 2 polish we fell in love with at the show will go into another pen (we need 3 more pullets, lol) and we will have WC Chocolate and Khaki either smooth or frizzled so it will be a blast.

I did not want to get too many but should I get some lavender and porclen (sp?) also?LOL
If you're going to Karen's house YES, YES, YES!!! I have two of her porcelains and love them. I wish I had a lavender from her. You can put the Lavenders and Porcelains together to breed also. Please take pictures of her place and pens too
wink.png

Check out these fluffy little feet! Not bad for a 2 day old
clap.gif
Perfect in every way! Love them.

Hope you have a good hatch! My Catdance eggs go into lockdown on Tuesday and I am so excited!
Lockdown for you is today!!!
celebrate.gif
I love my Catdance babies. I can't wait for my babies to have babies this early summer. Can't wait to see pictures of your kiddos
love.gif

I got my first Silkies today. I believe: 2 gray/blue, 2 Partridge, 1 red. There is also a Polish in with them.

K Epp ~ How sweet! That red will be to watch grow out so please share some pictures along the way. I see your Polish there and it is so cute. As I mentioned earlier we just got our first two Polish and we are excited.

The life of a chicken, haha

Thank you both so much. I put the other 3 chicks outside in their tractor. Then I made a solution of electrolytes w/ vitamins, Vit E, selinium and B12 (my good Standard Process supplements). I may add a bit of prednisone when I find a safe amount. She couldn't figure out how to drink or swallow from the dropper..........she sort of contorted and twisted all over-poor thing. So instead I soaked her food with the liquid and she ate it hungrily. In between feedings, she seems to enjoy falling asleep in my hand. I will keep you posted on her progress. I hope she gets better.
I had two silkie chicks with wry neck. I used the Polyvisol w/o iron, Vit. E, and the Selenium like you. I would mix it all up with a little water and then take the chick clutched tightly, open it's beak, and try to get it under it's tongue so I didn't accidentally drown it. One chick it didn't take long to correct itself and now it's the ROO that RULES the roost and the other one took way longer but she is perfect now and laying eggs. Hoping your baby pulls out of this soon.

Back
Top Bottom