Silkie thread!

Lock Down!! _Pam
Can't wait to hear the good news!!!

I have pics of the new catdance babies. I ended up with 9/13 hatching. Got 1 white, 3 lav and 5 porcelian they are amazing. I have some 5 month old porcelains and lav splits from karen that I love they are my favorite. Wish some of you all were closer I cant keep them all!

Ohhh so precious...I wish I was closer to you too
he.gif

Very cute babies! I keep reading instances where people hafta give their chicks vitamins such as Poly-vi-sol without iron for health problems. Is this something that would be recommended to do for new chicks just in general? I get my order of 30 chicks on Monday and just want to give them their best chance after their long journey from Iowa to Alaska
smile.png
any tips would be much appreciated
smile.png
thank you!
I believe some vitamins and electrolytes would be the perfect pick-me-up for the stress of being shipped and a nice quiet place to rest and not be disturbed for awhile. Medicated chick feed and you should be good to go.

I use Unpasteurized, Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar in their water. About a tablespoon per gallon. It helps keep pasty but away(firms up the poop). You can get it in most heath food sections of the grocery stores.
I love the BRAGGS brand of all natural, unpasteurized and unfiltered apple cider with the "mother" in it. I find mine in the "natural" section of my Kroger grocery store. It may be found in the regular section of your grocery store. This is good to use a couple times a month to keep their gut running smooth.

I think I'm going to have to re-worm mine. Mine are grown with poopy butts, like they've had diarrhea. I wonder if I can worm them again? Just wormed them a month or two ago (have to look at my record) Only supposed to use it 2 times a year. They have had ACV and yogurt. I was going to bring one in to foster incubator chicks if the hatch, but I don't want to expose them to whatever it is. hmmm. Skinny and poopy. Sound like worms. have never seen them. Only the girls have it. Oh well- I think I've been clogging this site up with that already in the past. I'll research and see how soon I can use it again (Ivermectin)..Maybe I'll go to TSC and try the other that someone suggested. Don't have the name of it. I'm lazy typing. Bed is calling me early tonight.
Pam ~ Here is the advice I got from Ilse Zweegers, who is a Vet, and it worked for my cross beaked d'Uccle.

· Ilse Zweegers on your second query, my advice is for you to stay away from any "pour-on" products when dealing with poultry parasites unless there is such a serious infestation that you have no choice. For worming without side effects but real results against all known internal poultry parasites: total 14 days treatment, apply twice a year for 'protected poultry', 3 times a year for 'free range poultry' - dosages are stated for silkies and allow for spillage..... DAY 1 : Valbazen (albendazole) - give 1/2cc orally with eye dropper or syringe without needle directly into beak DAY 2 thru 5 : water soluble multi vitamins & probiotics DAY 10 : Safeguard liquid goat wormer (fenbendazole) - give 1/2cc orally with eye dropper or syringe without needle directly into beak DAY 11 thru 14 : water soluble multi vitamins & probiotics.. There is no official egg withdrawal period, but I recommend you avoid human consumption for the 2 weeks during treatment. However, the eggs can be scrambled (no additives except water) and fed back to the birds during the treatment period for protein treats.

·
Ilse Zweegers For external parasites : DE (food grade) lightly sprinkled on their bedding -- plus -- Sevin Dust 5% : place body of chicken in a plastic bag with the head sticking out of the bag. Add Sevin Dust, hold bag closed at neck, and shake gently to coat bird with powder (twice a year for 'protected poultry', 3 times a year for 'free range poultry')
CUT AND PASTE THIS INFO INTO A WORD DOCUMENT AND KEEP IT ON YOUR COMPUTER IN A FILE MARKED SAY..."CHICKEN DOCUMENTS" SO YOU HAVE IT HANDY ANYTIME YOU NEED TO REFER BACK. IT'S BEEN A LIFESAVER FOR ME AND ILSE ZWEEGERS IS WILLING TO HELP ANYONE...SHE IS SUCH A LOVE.
My chicks are so cute and active now!
Whether they're experiencing the joys of green grass with their Mama..

Being brave in the face of danger (danger's name, in this case, is our lab, Luke)...
Or just soaking up some warmth in the brooder house...

...these chicks manage to look adorable doing it. I can't wait to see how these babies mature. I already see some of the cutest little bonnets, so I know my girl with the big bonnet crest is most likely the mother of a lot of them.
Ahhhh cuteness factor plus...

Cute pictures!

This is probably a silly question, but what does cat dance mean?
hmm.png
And AKA.
It can be intimidating when you don't know all the lingo...I know I don't. As other's have already answered this I will also add that her real name is Karen Larsen and she is a really nice lady. She has a wonderful farm in WA and I have received a shipment of eggs from her all the way to GA w/o one broken and had a very successful hatch under a broody hen of mine.

The silkies

My paint roo he is beardless but other then that I love him!!

My New cuckoo's also my new paint hen in there too she isn't very spotty but she sure is pretty.
Ooooo CuCkOoOoOo'S so jealous!

Drum roll please! dum dum dum dum dum dum dum...... Finally! Two perfect little eggs! My stubbord little Nori is finally all grown up
celebrate.gif

YEAH NORI!!! IT'S A COMING OUT PARTY,
lau.gif

i have standard size chickens and my dd wants white silkies. can i house them together or do i have to make another coop? allso i want the ones that are reallyfluffy with alot of fuff on their heads. do i have to buy "show girls"? or is all hatchery stock like that? what are some good breeders. im in east pa
I have standard size chickens and silkies together. We did have to make some modifications to our coup. We had to build a ramp for them to use to get in and out of the coup and we created a sort of nesting box and the coup floor level so they had their own little cubby hole to sleep in. Ours had taken to sleeping in the nesting boxes before we built them their own little "apartment." For us it was easier to modify our existing coup than build a new one. Ours also have 10 acres to roam around on, so they all have enough room to get away from each other when there are personality conflicts. So far it has worked out just fine for all of our chickens.

Hatch due tomorrow- 4 trying to pip, rocking, and I hear cheeps! OH Please, Please, Please!
fl.gif
_Pam

I am keeping mine crossed for you too!!!
fl.gif
What colors are rocking and pipping so far?

My paints and cuckoo are a craigslist find paid $20 for all 4
WOW!!! What a find!!!!

Thank you Cindy!

Everyone I am so loving all these pictures!!!

RockerHen those babies are so precious. I think I can see some bonnets AND Macho chests! WooHoo!

he.gif

I believe some vitamins and electrolytes would be the perfect pick-me-up for the stress of being shipped and a nice quiet place to rest and not be disturbed for awhile. Medicated chick feed and you should be good to go.

I love the BRAGGS brand of all natural, unpasteurized and unfiltered apple cider with the "mother" in it. I find mine in the "natural" section of my Kroger grocery store. It may be found in the regular section of your grocery store. This is good to use a couple times a month to keep their gut running smooth.

Pam ~ Here is the advice I got from Ilse Zweegers, who is a Vet, and it worked for my cross beaked d'Uccle.

· Ilse Zweegers on your second query, my advice is for you to stay away from any "pour-on" products when dealing with poultry parasites unless there is such a serious infestation that you have no choice. For worming without side effects but real results against all known internal poultry parasites: total 14 days treatment, apply twice a year for 'protected poultry', 3 times a year for 'free range poultry' - dosages are stated for silkies and allow for spillage..... DAY 1 : Valbazen (albendazole) - give 1/2cc orally with eye dropper or syringe without needle directly into beak DAY 2 thru 5 : water soluble multi vitamins & probiotics DAY 10 : Safeguard liquid goat wormer (fenbendazole) - give 1/2cc orally with eye dropper or syringe without needle directly into beak DAY 11 thru 14 : water soluble multi vitamins & probiotics.. There is no official egg withdrawal period, but I recommend you avoid human consumption for the 2 weeks during treatment. However, the eggs can be scrambled (no additives except water) and fed back to the birds during the treatment period for protein treats.

·
Ilse Zweegers For external parasites : DE (food grade) lightly sprinkled on their bedding -- plus -- Sevin Dust 5% : place body of chicken in a plastic bag with the head sticking out of the bag. Add Sevin Dust, hold bag closed at neck, and shake gently to coat bird with powder (twice a year for 'protected poultry', 3 times a year for 'free range poultry')
CUT AND PASTE THIS INFO INTO A WORD DOCUMENT AND KEEP IT ON YOUR COMPUTER IN A FILE MARKED SAY..."CHICKEN DOCUMENTS" SO YOU HAVE IT HANDY ANYTIME YOU NEED TO REFER BACK. IT'S BEEN A LIFESAVER FOR ME AND ILSE ZWEEGERS IS WILLING TO HELP ANYONE...SHE IS SUCH A LOVE.

It can be intimidating when you don't know all the lingo...I know I don't. As other's have already answered this I will also add that her real name is Karen Larsen and she is a really nice lady. She has a wonderful farm in WA and I have received a shipment of eggs from her all the way to GA w/o one broken and had a very successful hatch under a broody hen of mine.

lau.gif

he.gif

·

lau.gif

he.gif

·

lau.gif

he.gif

·

lau.gif

Hi= I don't know how to copy just the first part of the post. Cat Dance is named after her horse that she loved, that passed away. Pam

I'm sharing my new barn plans with those threads I shared the news of the fire...

I'm drawing up barn plans. One floor only with the appearance of a loft, but no loft.. I don't want to take stairs anyway, and it would be too costly.

So this is the look we are going for outside. But bigger... All the doors will be double dutch style. More windows than in picture.

Hope this makes sense... I drew this out myself. I didn't like the plans that the image above showed. I need a really big area for the poultry, as well as breeding pens against the back for outdoor runs. I hope it brings it up larger when you click.. The long boxes against the wall are windows.. the doors are open. The little square boxes are outlets. Everything else is marked (except the lights in the 14 x 4 foot breeding pens (which by the way - 1 is supposed to be 6 x 14 feet.. whoops. Will have to fix it.

Thoughts? Did I mention all doors are double dutch style?
Oh and the hot water tank and fuse box will go in the tractor or wash/feed room.

Back
Top Bottom