Silkie thread!

My wry neck boy is going on 2 months of it. He's had Polyvisol, Selenium, Vit E. About to try Presidone (if vet will prescribe it). Good news is, I had little chick like yours that was better in a week. I fed him egg with a dropper, and the above vitamins.

ps- he doesn't stay outside. He lives in the house. It's cooler this evening, and I took him out to see his girls and get some fresh air.

Pam

3 of the four splash chicks (maybe a blue, too?) Last pic before the awkward stage.
cool.png

Pam Pittman

I am looking for a few silkie chicks. Would prefer females, unbearded, any colors. I am in Peeples Valley, north east of Wickenburg and South West of Prescott, willing to drive to the valley or Prescott, AZ. Please PM me if you have new chicks.

I still have to feed my puzzling silkie, Thunderhead. He acts like a normal chicken, but doesn't do much more than peck at food without swallowing it. He's been on Corid, antibiotics, had surgery to get the feeding tube he swallowed out of his crop, and has no symptoms of anything anymore. He's gained back the weight he lost thanks to handfeeding, and has normal chicken poops, but I do have to watch him for dehydration. The vet wonders if it's neurological or possibly depression since he's been alone. So, since there are no symptoms of any illness, I brought over Ella to stay with him. She's a little five month old pullet who didn't really hang out with anyone in the coop and is way too timid to try to bully anybody. She really likes him and they're never very far from each other in their pen in my mud room. In fact, she gets upset when I take him out to feed him, calling loudly until I put him back. Then she pecks him gently on the back and rubs her head all over him. Thunderhead has started drinking a bit on his own, but not eating yet. He's happier, though. He was so quiet and just hung around in the back corner of the pen preening and looking around. He's a lot more active since she joined him. Now if she could just teach him that food is very good to put in your mouth and swallow because I'm beginning to wonder if this is neurological.

Last edited:
My wry neck boy is going on 2 months of it. He's had Polyvisol, Selenium, Vit E. About to try Presidone (if vet will prescribe it). Good news is, I had little chick like yours that was better in a week. I fed him egg with a dropper, and the above vitamins.

ps- he doesn't stay outside. He lives in the house. It's cooler this evening, and I took him out to see his girls and get some fresh air.

Pam
I am so sorry about your boy. I really do not know what else you could do. I hope you can get some answers.
3 of the four splash chicks (maybe a blue, too?) Last pic before the awkward stage.
cool.png

Pam Pittman

Adorable pictures and chicks!
I still have to feed my puzzling silkie, Thunderhead. He acts like a normal chicken, but doesn't do much more than peck at food without swallowing it. He's been on Corid, antibiotics, had surgery to get the feeding tube he swallowed out of his crop, and has no symptoms of anything anymore. He's gained back the weight he lost thanks to handfeeding, and has normal chicken poops, but I do have to watch him for dehydration. The vet wonders if it's neurological or possibly depression since he's been alone. So, since there are no symptoms of any illness, I brought over Ella to stay with him. She's a little five month old pullet who didn't really hang out with anyone in the coop and is way too timid to try to bully anybody. She really likes him and they're never very far from each other in their pen in my mud room. In fact, she gets upset when I take him out to feed him, calling loudly until I put him back. Then she pecks him gently on the back and rubs her head all over him. Thunderhead has started drinking a bit on his own, but not eating yet. He's happier, though. He was so quiet and just hung around in the back corner of the pen preening and looking around. He's a lot more active since she joined him. Now if she could just teach him that food is very good to put in your mouth and swallow because I'm beginning to wonder if this is neurological.
Poor guy... I am really sorry and hope he starts eating on his own :(

Back
Top Bottom