Silkie thread!

Can anyone tell me whether this chicken is a hen or rooster. 5 months old.

Very pretty little pullet !

Hi everyone I bought 3 silkies from a lady at my local feed store, one roo and two hens. I am not sure of their age is there anyway to figure out the age? They are obviously fully grown but how old that is the question.
They have straight combs so not ideal for breeding. An observation of mine is that the blue lobes fade to white with age, just a guess but 4-5 years, that's just comparing them to mine. :)

They have straight combs so not ideal for breeding. An observation of mine is that the blue lobes fade to white with age, just a guess but 4-5 years, that's just comparing them to mine.
smile.png

Thanks
hugs.gif
, the lobes are turquoise but for some reason comes out white when I take a pic with my phone. But I think they are about 3-4 years.

The hens are laying at the moment
jumpy.gif
, I even gave them some of my Australorp eggs as they keep stealing each others eggs
lau.gif
that seemed to help.

I am actually looking for a few more hens the roo is very amorous and wont leave the hens in peace.

Thanks :hugs , the lobes are turquoise but for some reason comes out white when I take a pic with my phone.  But I think they are about 3-4 years.

The hens are laying at the moment :jumpy , I even gave them some  of my Australorp eggs as they keep stealing each others eggs :lau  that seemed to help.

I am actually looking for a few more hens the roo is very amorous and wont leave the hens in peace.

Haha, yes they are amorous little guys.
The feet often give you some indication of age too. Length of Spurs .

Its the first time I have silkies and I love them, never even considered getting them until the lady sold them to me at the store. I breed Australorps they are gentle giants but don't come close to how affectionate the silkies are.

They are the ' teddy bear ' of the chicken world. Before you know it you will be surrounded by them. You can't just stop at a few. :lau
Bit like malteesas. ( chocolates ). :)

Back
Top Bottom