Silkie thread!

HELP
I was handling my 1 year old silkie rooster the other day and while petting him I felt a large lump/bump on his back, I pulled his feathers back and found a large black mass protuding thru his skin. It's about ping pong ball size.
He is acting normal, crowing, eating and gaurding his ladies like nothing is wrong. I only found it because I was petting him.
I have cut the feathers away from the area and put peroxide on it and the top layer/ scan has fallen off and it did bleed a little and it now looks to have a yellow sea sponge type texure mass (as seen in picture).

I have researched and researched with no luck. Does anyone know what this is?

If you have other roos , this could be a fighting injury. Either way I would be irrigating it with saline and then spraying it with an antibiotic wound spray like Terramycin . Apart from the risk of infection there is a real threat of flies getting to it and laying maggots in it.
Also give him a spray all over for lice and mites cause those little buggers will have a ' field
Day ' with an open wound like that.

Great advice FancyChooklady.

Just a Tip for maggot removal!
I have had to do the maggot thing on a stray kitten. If you mix a light solution of white vinegar with water (like 1 part vinegar 10 parts water) and use it to irrigate a maggot infested wound it will make those buggers crawl for the hills. they cannot live in a wound with vinegar but make sure to dilute because it does sting. I have used it on myself to clean wounds before.

did anyone ever have a silkie come out with a red comb? My white silkie has a red comb, and the breeder only had silkies, so I am little lost on why that happened. He's not a breeder, but it has me ALL confused, lol.

did anyone ever have a silkie come out with a red comb? My white silkie has a red comb, and the breeder only had silkies, so I am little lost on why that happened. He's not a breeder, but it has me ALL confused, lol.

Red combs are not a desired trait if you are wishing to show, but if you are just wanting ' pet ' quality birds it shouldn't make any diference. :)

HELP
I was handling my 1 year old silkie rooster the other day and while petting him I felt a large lump/bump on his back, I pulled his feathers back and found a large black mass protuding thru his skin. It's about ping pong ball size.
He is acting normal, crowing, eating and gaurding his ladies like nothing is wrong. I only found it because I was petting him.
I have cut the feathers away from the area and put peroxide on it and the top layer/ scan has fallen off and it did bleed a little and it now looks to have a yellow sea sponge type texure mass (as seen in picture).

I have researched and researched with no luck. Does anyone know what this is?

If you have other roos , this could be a fighting injury. Either way I would be irrigating it with saline and then spraying it with an antibiotic wound spray like Terramycin . Apart from the risk of infection there is a real threat of flies getting to it and laying maggots in it.
Also give him a spray all over for lice and mites cause those little buggers will have a ' field
Day ' with an open wound like that.

No he is alone, but now that you mention it could be a injuring related thing the coop door (doggie door) to the chicken yard did call on him, so maybe that's where it came from, poor guy.
I have been watching for flies and mayors and so far so good, luckily it's cold/cooler here right now.
I'll get some spray anitibiotic for him as well. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom