Silkie thread!

Well at least I now know my cat is no threat to my silkies. He's a big boy-probably part Maine Coon- about 9-10 months old. He's a house cat who generally doesn't get to go outside but he sits in the window and watches the bird feeder intently and yowls to go out and eat them. This morning my husband couldn't find him anywhere. I looked through the house and garage. Went out on the deck and called him. Nothing. I wasn't sure how he would have gotten out anyway unless he slipped out when my son went to school. I quit worrying about it for a while and went out to feed the silkies. Their run was open so they could free range for a couple of hours this morning. They are grown except for one 5 week old baby with a broody mamma. I was out there for a few minutes talking to the chickens and feeding them when I heard a small meow. I called and called, thinking Oolong, the cat was out in the yard somewhere and finally the cat peeks out out from behind tiny 4 inch corridor between the broody box and the brick wall. He was terrified of the chickens and I had to stand between him and the silkies before he would come out. My guess is he went in maybe hoping to catch the baby. I don't think he'll try that again. Mamma broody and a few other hens ran at him as I let him out and he scooted back to the deck pretty quickly. Good to know but I don't let the silkies free range very often because I worry something meaner than Oolong will get them.

Man, it's already time for the weekly pictures..... hopefully they'll cooperate. The six Silkies we grabbed up 4 weeks ago becausr they had awful, and ignored, pasty butt are all healthy and super spunky now! A couple have straight combs and a couple have bare legs....but they're just for our backyard flock, so it doesn't matter much to us. They're a lot more skittish than our orpingtons were and don't seem too keen on human contact. I sit on the floor, move slow, and talk super softly.....and they act like I'm a monster
1f62d.png

Oh well....I can always wander over to the big chicks for cuddles when the Silkies turn me down too many times haha. They're so darn cute though....like little cotton balls.
1f60d.png

Even if they don't want to warm up to me, I can always get enjoyment out of watching them fluff around.
1f60a.png

WE'VE HANDLED OUR OLD SILKIE HENS SO MUCH OVER 5 YEARS THAT THEY'RE ALL LITTLE PESTS NOW. WHEN WE WALK OUT THE BACK DOOR OR BARELY GET TO THE SLIDING DOOR TO OPEN IT THEY'RE ALREADY RUNNING AND FLAPPING TO GREET US OR WALK RIGHT INTO THE KITCHEN!

Where do I go to purchase well bred silkie chicks? I'm interested in breeding for fun but also want quality. I'm trying to learn everything I can. Unfortunately everything local is mixed. Can anyone help me here? :)

Where do I go to purchase well bred silkie chicks? I'm interested in breeding for fun but also want quality. I'm trying to learn everything I can. Unfortunately everything local is mixed. Can anyone help me here?
smile.png

In Norco, SoCalif, there's Amber Waves Silkies but they're not cheap. Guaranteed purebred and DNA sexed chicks and juveniles. The reason their chicks are a bit more costly is because of the DNA testing depending on the ratio of cockerels that come back from DNA testing - it ups the price of the pullets. Their chicks are the bearded and come in the standard variety colors. Colors available are dependent on what hatches. They post photos and number the chicks and list the price of the chicks in their emails if you subscribe to their emails - otherwise they only list the numbers and prices on their general website. However, just about all their cockerels will be very cheap to free. If you are a serious customer they will most likely email you photos of the chicks available. http://showsilkies.com/silkies for sale.htm

Here's a small sample of their email to me. It didn't post very well but you get the idea:

PictureIDSexPrice
38.JPG
38FEMALE BEARDED BANTAM SILKIE$110
113A.JPG
113FEMALE BEARDED BANTAM SILKIE$135
141.JPG

P.S. IN AMBER WAVES' PHOTO GALLERY PAGE ON THEIR WEBSITE IS A PHOTO OF ACTRESS TORI SPELLING HOLDING HER WHITE SILKIE PURCHASED FROM AMBER WAVES.

Last edited:
In Norco, SoCalif, there's Amber Waves Silkies but they're not cheap. Guaranteed purebred and DNA sexed chicks and juveniles. The reason their chicks are a bit more costly is because of the DNA testing depending on the ratio of cockerels that come back from DNA testing - it ups the price of the pullets. Their chicks are the bearded and come in the standard variety colors. Colors available are dependent on what hatches. They post photos and number the chicks and list the price of the chicks in their emails if you subscribe to their emails - otherwise they only list the numbers and prices on their general website. However, just about all their cockerels will be very cheap to free. If you are a serious customer they will most likely email you photos of the chicks available. http://showsilkies.com/silkies for sale.htm Here's a small sample of their email to me. It didn't post very well but you get the idea: PictureIDSexPrice
38.JPG
38FEMALE BEARDED BANTAM SILKIE$110
113A.JPG
113FEMALE BEARDED BANTAM SILKIE$135
141.JPG
P.S. IN AMBER WAVES' PHOTO GALLERY PAGE ON THEIR WEBSITE IS A PHOTO OF ACTRESS TORI SPELLING HOLDING HER WHITE SILKIE PURCHASED FROM AMBER WAVES.
How do I find the website and subscribe? I tried the link you shared but nothing comes up. :(

Back
Top Bottom