Silkie thread!

Quote:
Sue, I live in NE Ohio, and I use the cookie tin water heaters under both my plastic and metal waterers. They do a great job keeping the water from freezing and that way I am ablr to use the same waterers all year round. pm me if you would like instructions on how to make them
smile.png

My silkie lucy was about to be killed by a feed store employee (since fired) on account of her crooked beak, but shes my favorite silkie!
smile.png

107737_dsc02502.jpg
[/img]

Quote:
Welcome to the wonderful world of silkies! lol

I find that letting the breeder hens ruin thier hairdo's works best for me, once their feathers get nasty & fall out during molt, which is now, by the time they grow back in, the weather has changed. The girls actually do better with Dreads, thou some do look like Whoopi Goldberg.

Two of my current silkies(not the eyeball ones) I got from you at Ohio National! They are the love of my life-too cute. You would not believe how beautiful they are and STILL growing more feathers! They are currently sleeping with the above mentioned babies and I think the splash thinks they are HER babies
smile.png

OMG!!! How awesome! I love to hear how my Fluffy Kids are doing, you need to post some pics for us! They should be fuffy basket balls when they finish, they were out of some of our best show birds. I have found that some of the pullets will develope Bigger crests after their yearling molts. It makes all the work so worth it to hear that our clients are happy with their birds. Thank you letting me know how they are doing, we've had a stressful week here, and this has brighten my day/week so much.
April

Last edited:
Quote:
Sue, I live in NE Ohio, and I use the cookie tin water heaters under both my plastic and metal waterers. They do a great job keeping the water from freezing and that way I am ablr to use the same waterers all year round. pm me if you would like instructions on how to make them
smile.png

I would like to know the "cookie tin" secret too!
wink.png

Quote:
smile.png

wink.png

Get a metal cookie tin like you see all the time in winter, especially X-mas ones. you should be able to find some at a dollar store or a discount store for 1-3$ - get a lamp kit install it into the inside of the cookie tin, the wires coming out of the side, and wire it up. add a 40 watt light bulb and then stick the tin on the ground (top on) and set your plastic waterers ontop of the cookie tin. if you have bantams and the cookie tin makes the waterer too high for youngsters you can dig a slight hole to level it lower, or add a couple flat 1 or 2" stones around the side of the cookie tin as 'steps' for the smaller birds to get up and access the water. the 40 watt bulb doesn't emit alot of heat, but in a metal tin it builds up and keeps the bottom of the waterer warm enough to deter it from freezing. if it gets REALLY cold and you notice the water starting to try to ice, you could switch for a 60 watt bulb while the temps are dipped.

Here is a thread on it with some pictures
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=107951&p=1

Last edited:
Quote:
wink.png

Get a metal cookie tin like you see all the time in winter, especially X-mas ones. you should be able to find some at a dollar store or a discount store for 1-3$ - get a lamp kit install it into the inside of the cookie tin, the wires coming out of the side, and wire it up. add a 40 watt light bulb and then stick the tin on the ground (top on) and set your plastic waterers ontop of the cookie tin. if you have bantams and the cookie tin makes the waterer too high for youngsters you can dig a slight hole to level it lower, or add a couple flat 1 or 2" stones around the side of the cookie tin as 'steps' for the smaller birds to get up and access the water. the 40 watt bulb doesn't emit alot of heat, but in a metal tin it builds up and keeps the bottom of the waterer warm enough to deter it from freezing. if it gets REALLY cold and you notice the water starting to try to ice, you could switch for a 60 watt bulb while the temps are dipped.
Thanks for the great info!
big_smile.png

smile.png

Quote:
Thanks for the great info!
big_smile.png

smile.png

The only problem I have with that is, I have so many lights already plugged in brooders for heat, etc. I'm afraid to add one more bulb in case it overloads the circuits...Maybe I'll get something narrow & long, like a small tough that they can't get their heads into....I'll have to think about it.

Back
Top Bottom