Skin Problem

I don't believe DE is a cure for lice or mites, but does help in preventing them. You may need to treat with a pesticide like sevin dust. Here's a link to a good article:

http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

Just in case you feel this is not natural or organic, I'll remind you that you are dumping a carcinogen in their water, bleach. I suggest you skip the bleach, not worry so much about poop or dirt and if you feel a need to clean their waterer use soap and water.

Also, feather picking can occur at night by the chicken or her best friend. I know someone who's chicken has a bare neck from feather plucking neighbor on the roost.

There are some great threads on NYC to help you identify mites and lice. Also a good article on the member pages.
Try sequestering the plucked chickens at night to rule out a neighbor.

I have been researching and found that I can rub DE all over them and I will be fine. Has anyone done this and if so, what were your results? Also, is there any brand I should get for sevin dust? I have found sevin dust made only for garden vegetables.

Last edited:
It could be... Is there something clumping against the feather shaft at the base, or is that just dirt?

MrsB

I have two Golden Comets and I did a check up on one of them and I found this:

What is the problem here and how can I treat it?

Looks like a mite problem and the "dirt" may be (and likely is) mite feces. Looks like you also may have a developing scaley leg mite problem.

Would you say it is lice or mites? Is there a way to make them stop pecking at each other if they are pecking at each other?

Chickens peck at each other, at least healthy chickens pick at each other. There is a species of mites called depluming mites that live in the feather shafts or quills of chickens. These mites also infest the feather follicles causing great distress and making chickens pull their own plumage out.

Thank you everybody for helping me! I appreciate it very much!
big_smile.png

Chancy and others who use DE, this is in no way a judgment but I personally do not use DE, and if I did have a situation that called for it I would use only food grade DE due to the respiratory dangers. I would treat with Sevin (yes, the kind for veggies - 5%) or ivermectin, treat all chickens and change out the bedding & douse that. Treat in another 7 days to kill the newly hatched eggs and perhaps another 7 after that.

I personally use Sevin dust available at Tractor Supply, Lowe's, Home Depot, and most other gardening stores.

Dust around the vent and under each wing. Repeat in seven days. Repeat *again* in another seven days. Three treatments - seven days apart.

Also clean out and dust your coop and roost pole, as eggs can hatch and re-infest everything.

DE is ineffective as far as parasite control in concerned.

MrsB

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom