Sled dog breeding

Keep training and running them enjoyable. Run them with dogs they like and be super happy and praise everyone when they are done running. For the day

I can do that but what if all the dogs don't like it? Run the indivisible in another mushers team and praise like crazy when there done until they like it? Pointers will more likly love it, vizslas might, labs I don't think so.

my labs LOVE to run. my lab Chloe will back up and dart forward again and again to try to get the sled to move when the snow-hook is down lol. you can force a dog to love running, you can encourage them with all your might but if they completely hate it and or refuse to pull they are better pets then mushing dogs. Dogs do need a job so if they can have a different one (like my border collie, who wont run but herds the sled dogs) then give them that one. Don't just let them sit around the kennel being bored and getting fat.
old.gif

My lab loves running. In the winter I take him for runs on the snowmobile... We pack down a good wide path then let him go with us. He will even run in the deep snow.

Pointers are full of energy, but they're very smart. You can just make them run and expectthem to be happy. They'll still get into trouble because they need to tire not only their body but their mind. They are better bird dogs for a reason. They also don't have a thick coat that would be good in the winter. I know someone with a German shorthair and she hates the cold.

Shouldn't you just focus on one breed for the job you want done instead of all these other breeds that have entirely different jobs they are bred for?

Shouldn't you just focus on one breed for the job you want done instead of all these other breeds that have entirely different jobs they are bred for?

Unfortunately, if she wants to breed competitive sled dogs, she will need to have a mix of the breeds she has been talking about. Alaskan huskies are the leaders in ALL mushing competitions, and they are a mix of northern breeds and surprisingly, pointers, hounds, etc.

However, I don't think it is going to be a successful venture in the OP's region, as there is no real "winter" to mush in, and no competitions.

Many of us on here are hoping the OP is just searching for info right now, and learning lots, and won't actually buy or breed for years and years and years. Maybe a decade. And maybe when she lives in a northern climate.

Unfortunately, if she wants to breed competitive sled dogs, she will need to have a mix of the breeds she has been talking about. Alaskan huskies are the leaders in ALL mushing competitions, and they are a mix of northern breeds and surprisingly, pointers, hounds, etc.

However, I don't think it is going to be a successful venture in the OP's region, as there is no real "winter" to mush in, and no competitions.

Many of us on here are hoping the OP is just searching for info right now, and learning lots, and won't actually buy or breed for years and years and years. Maybe a decade. And maybe when she lives in a northern climate.

Just rec for now. And yes it's gunna be at least 5-10 years. Maybe a little sooner or a little later.

Back
Top Bottom