Smoky Mtn East TN

Well I can't help either one of you.... I have only HRIR, Rhodebars, Production reds, and I use Mille Fleur d'Uccles for my broodies.

But now that you've posted what you're looking for maybe someone can point you in the right direction.

What I've mostly started doing if I'm not buying clean healthy hatchlings from stock yard, is to go look at place were animals are kept rather than buy older animals there anymore really. If someone won't show you their animals living conditions within reason for bio security reasons. Most people there pretty friendly and helpful ect, just some really clanish and just breed great animals cheap even as hobby, others just buy bunches cheap and sell whether decent or not. that is their contact number.

i also have two mini bunnies ($10 each) i got in trade, if anyone interested.'
@redridge, you still have all your mille D' feur color, D' uccles? They sure were pretty! I love seeing pics of them. One guy around here has/had porcelain D' uccles like my hen, cream, and lavender, colors also.

Last edited:
@redridge, you still have all your mille D' feur color, D' uccles? They sure were pretty! I love seeing pics of them. One guy around here has/had porcelain D' uccles like my hen, cream, and lavender, colors also.

I have 3 d'Uccles hens. I'm always torn about keeping them because I keep them separate and that's a pain. But when they go broody they make such good mommas. So they have their own little suite. I am hatching chicks every 5 days right now so am going to get cozy real quick - happens every spring. I sell the Rhodebars as trios when they are just a day old so that helps free up space. But i raise the HRIR to 4-7 months before I sell trio's so it takes a lot of room. Although I do begin selling cockerels in the spring. Two breeds is more than enough for me... The Rhodebar breed improvement program is what takes up a lot of room. F1 crosses and back crosses and then F2s... That why I sell most of the pure Rhodebars... Just no room and I don't like over crowding. We have 50 acres but... I only have 4 Maremma to guard them so I can't spread the lgd's too thin.

anyone in Sevierville milk goats and would let me observe? Im thinking about getting one but I want to feed the milk back to the birds...so im curious if its worth the investment

Sorry, I just milk sheep - used to own the first licensed sheep dairy in the southeast. Wouldn't own a goat. I milk Dexters too. Fyi... For quality animal protein for poultry I highly recommend raising BSF here in East TN. It's not only easy but is free. I sometimes feed extra whey or buttermilk to the chickens but I sure wouldn't waste good milk on them, too many other things like butter, cheese, homemade ice cream, etc. are a much higher priority. Just my opinion...

I have a friend near Jefferson City who also milks sheep, PM me if you'd like his contact info.

Sorry, I just milk sheep - used to own the first licensed sheep dairy in the southeast. Wouldn't own a goat. I milk Dexters too. Fyi... For quality animal protein for poultry I highly recommend raising BSF here in East TN. It's not only easy but is free. I sometimes feed extra whey or buttermilk to the chickens but I sure wouldn't waste good milk on them, too many other things like butter, cheese, homemade ice cream, etc. are a much higher priority. Just my opinion...

I have a friend near Jefferson City who also milks sheep, PM me if you'd like his contact info.
what is BSF?

Sorry, Black Soldier Fly larvae. They are easy to attract and raise here and with the proper ramp in a bin they crawl off automatically at just the right time. Since my poultry free range I collect mine each day during the summer and freeze them, then feed them when we have no bugs over the Winter.

Sorry, Black Soldier Fly larvae. They are easy to attract and raise here and with the proper ramp in a bin they crawl off automatically at just the right time. Since my poultry free range I collect mine each day during the summer and freeze them, then feed them when we have no bugs over the Winter.

hm ill have to check into that thank u

Back
Top Bottom