Southern vs. Northern Speak

lau.gif

Okay I'm a bred, born, and stayin' a southerner. I love the South and all the folks in it. We used to laugh at our Northern cousins when thay came to visit and they would laugh at us.
I went to visit them once in Ohio and my cuz asked me if I wanted a pop
hu.gif
hmm..around our house a pop was somethin' ya got in the mouth if you smarted off. So my reply was "no". She looked at me funny and said you know a pepsi, (me)..Oh yeah I'll take a coke she said no a pepsi. I said they are all cokes
gig.gif
. We always say y'all they say you guys
lau.gif
we thought that sounded so funny when we were kids. A few more southern words fer ya .......acorn is akern, yes it's a crick-you can have one in your back too
lau.gif
, not hole but ho, same fer a po (pole), corn on the cob is roas-in-ears, yonder is just over there, knob is a hill, hollow is holler, yep I wursh clothes, I like to pick em beans
big_smile.png
, I'm always fixin up somethin' for suppah, and they are grits, I love my iron skillets, no I don't like shoes on in the house or if it is warm outside, my feet have to be uncovered when I go to bed or I feel like I can't breath
lol.png
, We do have our ways, and we love up everyone we don't care where you come from we'll talk yer ear off
thumbsup.gif

ETA: My DH and I laugh our hinnies off when we watch Napoleon Dynamite when they work at that terrible egg farm and the old fart at lunch time starts to talk to the boys about them arrowhaeds he found in that crick over there one time....lots of folks can't understand his deep southern words....but we can LOL! that's a funny show I don't care who ya are!! LOL

Last edited:
Ol'FashionHen :

lau.gif

Okay I'm a bred, born, and stayin' a southerner. I love the South and all the folks in it. We used to laugh at our Northern cousins when thay came to visit and they would laugh at us.
I went to visit them once in Ohio and my cuz asked me if I wanted a pop
hu.gif
hmm..around our house a pop was somethin' ya got in the mouth if you smarted off. So my reply was "no". She looked at me funny and said you know a pepsi, (me)..Oh yeah I'll take a coke she said no a pepsi. I said they are all cokes
gig.gif
. We always say y'all they say you guys
lau.gif
we thought that sounded so funny when we were kids. A few more southern words fer ya .......acorn is akern, yes it's a crick-you can have one in your back too
lau.gif
, not hole but ho, same fer a po (pole), corn on the cob is roas-in-ears, yonder is just over there, knob is a hill, hollow is holler, yep I wursh clothes, I like to pick em beans
big_smile.png
, I'm always fixin up somethin' for suppah, and they are grits, I love my iron skillets, no I don't like shoes on in the house or if it is warm outside, my feet have to be uncovered when I go to bed or I feel like I can't breath
lol.png
, We do have our ways, and we love up everyone we don't care where you come from we'll talk yer ear off
thumbsup.gif

Thanks and a true old fashioned southern girl here too
frow.gif

What about this line from my uncle-"Y'all kids are fixin' to get a whoopin if you don't quit!"

Ahh yes the whoopin's...We use to have to cut our own switch
lau.gif
.​

Ol'FashionHen :

What about this line from my uncle-"Y'all kids are fixin' to get a whoopin if you don't quit!"

lau.gif
.​

YEP!! and you better not come back with no twig
gig.gif

Try living in the south after growing up in the north!

I get mad and I get this thick Connecticut accent but I'm throwing 'ya'll' into every other phrase I use!!!

Yeah its' funny.... my husband rolls out on the floor dying laughing. Makes it hard to continue to yell at him.
hmm.png

I only picked up half the southern version of words though.

Ol'FashionHen :

lau.gif
.​

Oh, lord, the dreaded switch! And if that wasn't quick enough, we got the fly swat, OUCH!
My uncle did holler at us once and said, Forget the switch, bring me a tree limb!​

LOL! OMG.. "you's guys"
roll.png
gig.gif
Family from RI on my Moms side... my mom left years ago but every now and again that accent comes out and
th.gif

I consider myself a "Virginian" (came here in 81 at the age of 12..so...) I've picked up the dialect. What amazes me is how MANY accents there are just in different counties surrounding me and they are from VA. DH is a born and bred VA boy and even HE doesnt have the "twang" of some Virginia babies. Take Ward and Jeff Burton (NASCAR) both brothers, same household born and raised - I can understand Jeff all day long...but Ward
roll.png
Forget it I need a translater and he just mumbles too much.

I get the "roof" thing - some say -Roo-f (phonetic) and others say it "Ra-oof" or "ru-oof" I say "roo-f"

House is just like it sounds but my neighbor says "Huhse" (VA thing) - Northern (RI family) say it "HAH-OWSE"

Car is car - short "r" for me. others around me say with a more pronounced "r" (like rolled). North: "Cah"

I say Cart for a shopping cart. Mom says Buggy

Water is wah-ter - Mom says "wahtah"

Dog is dog... I hear "dawg" or "dug"

Ya'll (yes I know I type it wrong, sue me, its easier to type this way than Y'all my fingers just dont like doing the ' after the Y) and I do say "all ya'll" We also tend to drop the "G's" and parts of whole words for some reason and it drives us nuts when we catch ourselves doing it "Comin' Mom" Or "C'mere kid"
hu.gif
who knew?! LOL

DS said the other day "Aint is TOO a word Momma, its in the dictionary"
gig.gif

I say Pepsi / Coke or soda

My DH is born and raised in KY, he gets teased her for 'oil', he says ol. He calls dinner 'supper' and lunch 'dinner'. Its ya'll for him. I grew up in the military, and if my mother ever heard me use anyhthing but proper english, out came the bar of soap!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom