"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

I came back from our girl scout camping trip today to a bucket of baby Chickie's :) 8 Chickie's total :-D
celebrate.gif
That was a nice coming-back-home present! Congrats, Caeti!!!

Have 7 Serama chicks so far!
yesss.gif
That's awesome, shah!!! Good luck with the rest!!!
fl.gif

1f62d.png
I lost my smallest dorking chick this morning. With the rain and all I'm a little sad.

It's a solid day 15 on my hatch. Just a few to go before lockdown b
Oh no!!!
hit.gif
Sorry to hear that. Best of luck with those still cooking!!!
fl.gif

My silkies hatched a bit late but so far 4 out of 5
ya.gif
Congratulations, Britt!!! Come on #5!!!
fl.gif

@Sally Sunshine April Hatch#3 final statistics
21 eggs went into lockdown. eggtopsies on the 3 dead = 2 of those were earlier quitters and 1 was a late term death.
3 were still waiting to hatch and moved into the May hatch. 15 live healthy chicks due 4/29 arrived between 4/28 and 4/30. (easter egger/barnyard mixes).
yippiechickie.gif
Way to go wabbit!!! Sounds like it's been a good run! Congratulations!!!

:celebrate   That was a nice coming-back-home present! Congrats, Caeti!!!

:yesss:    That's awesome, shah!!! Good luck with the rest!!!    :fl

Oh no!!!  :hit    Sorry to hear that. Best of luck with those still cooking!!!   :fl

:ya    Congratulations, Britt!!!  Come on #5!!!    :fl

:yiipchick    Way to go wabbit!!! Sounds like it's been a good run! Congratulations!!!  

Thank you it really was a good one :D

Captains Log - Day 29
I have 3 duck eggs that are still rocking. No pips. No peeps. No progress. I will keep them in the incubator for a few more days or if I smell something funky. At this point, however, I am not that optimistic that there will ducklings at our house this week.

I am crushed, disappointed and feel a little bit like a failure. I think the humidity was just too low. I may try again and join the May HAL (my husband told me to give it another shot).
Sorry you didn't have a good hatch. You should try again.

My hatch is done. Out of 17 that made it to lockdown, 9 hatched.
Congratulations!

Well, didn't fare so well here at Oleo Acres. Out of 39 shipped eggs we got 3 chicks. All are healthy, hatched on their own, and the Australorp I wanted morphed into a Naked Neck sometime during incubation. The Good Lord and a broody hen are much better at this than me and a heated Styofoam box.
sad.png
Sorry it didn't go so well.

@Chaos18 I have had a blast joining this group! Err... thread! My finally tally for April is 10 eggs set of game chicks 7 hatched then 1 died so I had a 70% hatch rate for my very first try. Not too bad then I set 44 eggs 7 ayam cemani which are are still going strong. 7 isabell leghorn horns of which 5 are still going. 20 barnyard mix I have 15 of those left. And I received 16 sizzle silkie eggs 6 were busted so I set 10. 8 are still in the bator one I think has 2 embryos in it....so.... we shall see. Have joined the May HAL with these remaining 35 eggs and I will add my 10 or so croads on Tuesday and the mypetchicken ones when they finally arrive they were shipped on the 26th not here yet. My pet chicken has informed me they will make it right somehow. I know it is USPS fault NOT MPC. So..... I have had fun I love my babies.
I'm glad you had a good time, glad you joined our May hatch a long.

My final tally is 52 chicks hatched out this month.
woot.gif

So my last 2 to pop out in April was a lavender D'anvers and a Blue D'Anvers both out on 4/30. There are still 9 waiting to pip, one with a pip waiting to pop... I guess they will be my may babies!
Congratulations!

1 more pip this morning.
yesss.gif

Thought you'd all enjoy my 5 yr old daughter's picture...she said it's a chick in an egg and the point is where it's pipped and going to hatch from (according to her) and the chick on the outside already hatched...
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png

Adorable!

Final count on my poults is six. 12 eggs, 11 fertile, 9 locked down, 7 hatched, 6 survived. Of the 2 that didn't hatch, one never pipped internally and I have no clue what happened because it's yolk was almost fully absorbed. Another pipped low on the backside of the egg opposite of the lowest side of the air cell, and I never saw it until I pulled the egg out for eggtopsy. Fluid had dripped from the pip and dried all down the side of the egg, so I get the feeling he pipped in the wrong spot and possibly drowned? I just feel bad about that one, if I'd seen the pip I could have turned the egg upright and maybe it would have made it. A third poult did hatch and seemed fine at first, but it went downhill rapidly, somewhat limp, heavy breathing, and never opened its eyes. I attempted to give it electrolyte water through a syringe, but I think I made things worse since he aspirated more than he drank. It made it about 24 hours before it's final puff in my hands. My poor baby
sad.png

But I do have my first ever poults now and everyone send to be drinking just fine. Haven't confirmed them eating but a couple do pick at their food. They're super cute!

Congratulations on your first poults!

I came back from our girl scout camping trip today to a bucket of baby Chickie's :) 8 Chickie's total :-D
Nice thing to come back too. I hope you had a good time on the camping trip!

Have 7 Serama chicks so far!
Congratulations!

1f62d.png
I lost my smallest dorking chick this morning. With the rain and all I'm a little sad.

It's a solid day 15 on my hatch. Just a few to go before lockdown b
Sorry about the dorking chick.

My silkies hatched a bit late but so far 4 out of 5
woot.gif

Well, didn't fare so well here at Oleo Acres. Out of 39 shipped eggs we got 3 chicks. All are healthy, hatched on their own, and the Australorp I wanted morphed into a Naked Neck sometime during incubation. The Good Lord and a broody hen are much better at this than me and a heated Styofoam box.
sad.png
Oh noes!!!
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

I wish you could try local eggs, I loved doing those...... Good luck...

I'm gonna be doing shipped really soon and I am more then a teeny bit nervous.
hmm.png

Congrats to all the winners, and thanks to everyone who shared their tragedies, triumphs, humor and good sense in this thread. Thanks also our host and hostess, and those who helped and those who donated prizes!

Next month is my turn! Teehee
Yes!! And, as we all know, you will win 3doz MORE hatching eggs.
lau.gif

Thanks. 8 eggs made it to lockdown and I got 4 ducklings out of them so I'm fairly happy.
thumbsup.gif

-Banti

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom