Stella's Social Club

I know a lot of you have TONS more experience than I do. Any suggestions what I could do with this pullet? Noticed her eye on Friday afternoon and isolated her, she's had Gallimycin in her water since Saturday. Sunday morning I ran to Atwoods to buy some Tylan 50 and started injections (1/2 cc). I'm also rubbing triple antibiotic ointment into her eye two to three times per day. This morning was Day 4 on the Tylan. She is still eating and drinking but I am starting to worry with so much swelling for so long it is going to affect her eyesight permanantly. When I pull her eye open and look around there is sometimes a little watery white infection but it is all mostly swelling of the eyeball and tissues around the eye. The eyeball itself is swollen. She is marginally better than before I started the Tylan, the swelling is slightly less and she can open her eye a crack on her own. I know Tylan is supposed to be given for a max of 5 days, should I continue it for a few more beyond the 5? Or is there something better I could use?

These photos were taken Saturday:

These photos were taken this afternoon:

(She is opening her eye in this photo)

Go to any dog vet , and ask for a bottle of GENTOCIN DURAFILM. It is expensive, and not used often, and therefore will knock out most bugs.Also massage that eye from the nostril to the corner of the eye. You may push out a chunk of what looks like cottage cheese. This is very painful to the bird, so use the Gentocin for at least another week.I saw a lot of this in Silkies.

Because Gentocin Durafilm contains a steroid, it should not be used if there is a chance the eye is injured. Steroids prevent damaged corneal tissue from healing. Any non-steroid antibiotic ointment would be safe.

I have 2 more broodies due to hatch tomorrow. (Different coops thankfully) in the large coop I have 2 pips. It was originally my olive egger on these eggs, but her and my barnevelder swapped nests last week. So now my olive egger will hatch eggs the week of the 8th.

Because Gentocin Durafilm contains a steroid, it should not be used if there is a chance the eye is injured. Steroids prevent damaged corneal tissue from healing. Any non-steroid antibiotic ointment would be safe.
I like triple antibiotic ointment...after I wash the eye a bit with sterile saline from drug store.

Thanks everybody for your opinions on my EE hen. She is looking much better today, I think the triple antibiotic cream is working better than anything else. I will stop at the feed store today and look for Vetricin. There is quite a nodular lump between her eye and her nose, I massaged it today and managed to get a little cheesy infection to work out from under the eyelid on that side. It was obviously painful for her so I stopped after I got a little out. Hopefully the swelling will be down even more tomorrow and I will be able to work more of it out.

Thanks everybody for your opinions on my EE hen. She is looking much better today, I think the triple antibiotic cream is working better than anything else. I will stop at the feed store today and look for Vetricin. There is quite a nodular lump between her eye and her nose, I massaged it today and managed to get a little cheesy infection to work out from under the eyelid on that side. It was obviously painful for her so I stopped after I got a little out. Hopefully the swelling will be down even more tomorrow and I will be able to work more of it out.

Good job!

My barnevelder broody has 4 olive egger chicks out. (2 black, 1 blue and a splash) 3 eggs still left to go, 2 wellies (1 is pipped) and 1 black sex link. She's not happy with being moved to more private quarters, but she's doing very well with the babies.

The welsummer broody has 4 wellie eggs and 1 is pipped in the wrong end. I've got to get her area ready for her next.

One more broody to go, and she'll hatch after the 4th of July weekend. NO MORE BROODIES! They are driving me crazy. Plus, I will be out of town for a week in mid July, so I won't be here to make sure everyone is okay.

Woke up this morning to more 80% humidity. YUCK.

Back
Top Bottom