Strangest and Silliest Chicken Names?

Penelope [means "weaver"]
Calliope [means "beautiful voice"]
Areti [means "virtue"]
(all Greek names, all Americaunas...hubby is from Greece and his ya-ya had chickens...the one name Areti looks like his Aunt (or so he says...poor Aunt))

Price
Goldie
Sunrise
Eagle

(all Americaunas. Price is named for a Call of Duty character who has a beard. The others are named because of their color (Eagle is black with gold flecks like an black eagle))

Little Jerry
Tater
Tot
Lady
Granny

(all Buff Orpingtons. Names are kinda random, kinda off the cuff, kinda the ideations of a 17 year old boy who loves, loves, loves his birds.)
wink.png

Thanks for this post. It was fun to share.

Last edited:
Well, I gave the Dominiques late 19th C. and early 20th C. names:

Pansy, initially Columbine
Daisy
Rose
Ivy, initially Myrtle
Violet

The Rocks names came from behavioral traits.

Clementine liked to dig very deep dust baths, and all one would see of her would be a large foot briefly appearing above the edge of the pit. Big feet? Excavating for a mine? My darling Clementine! (She was a darling.)

Lolita was precocious and would crouch so fast that she made a thud as she dropped. We named her after the title character in a book.

The Black Stars names also came from characteristic behavior.

Big Bird was named for her stance; she seemed to be the largest although the sold-to-us-as-a-Black Star that was probably really the hatchery version of a Marans outweighed her by maybe two pounds.

Bird On Hand got her name because as a chick she literally fought the other birds for the opportunity to climb onto the backs of our hands or wrists for hand rides around the house and later yard.

The probable hatchery Marans appeared smaller because of her long necked, gawky appearance when contrasted with the smooth, rounded lines of the Black Stars. She was named "Scruffy", affectionately "Scruffles" for her appearance.

My Red Star back in high school was just named "Hen."

I don't remember ever naming the white Leghorns.

My favorite roo is Francoise. He's a Marans and when he hatched I was reading a biography about Francoise I of France. I thought, French king, French chicken...it was meant to be!

Continuing the historical theme, I have 3 pullets named after queens who lost their heads: Ann (Boleyn), Catherine (Howard) and Marie (Antionette). I don't plan on my girls ever meeting a similar fate, though!

By far my favorite names, and chickens, were a fat, cheerful Buff Orpington named Nanny Ogg and a serious, clever (for a chicken) Barred Rock named Granny Weatherwax like the witches in Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels.

Historic and literary chicken names, you're doing it right!

I have a couple BO named Buffy and Willow, a RIR named Amelia Pond and a BPR named Neil de Grasse Tyson. He replaced another BPR named Carl Sagan. Carl was supposed to be a pullet but turned out to be a roo so we rehomed him and bought the second who also turned out to be a roo. I told my son to quit giving them boy names! There are plenty of cool women scientists he could name a chick after.

While it seems like tons of people have an Orpington, Chantecler or Polish named Buffy, I really like that you've paired it with Willow. We had a soft coated wheaten terrior named Buffy growing up, but that was before the Vampire Slayer came to be, I actually remember when the movie came out and my older sister went to see it.

Amelia Pond is perfect for a RIR! My husband said we couldn't do a companions theme though :/

Penelope [means "weaver"]
Calliope [means "beautiful voice"]
Areti [means "virtue"]
(all Greek names, all Americaunas...hubby is from Greece and his ya-ya had chickens...the one name Areti looks like his Aunt (or so he says...poor Aunt))

Penelope and Calliope are fantastic names! I'd be tempted to name two Circe ans Calypso!

My 3 year old son named our chickens so, needless to say, they are interesting.

Chickeneaty - red sex link - so named because we eat chickens (since changed to Chickeneedy as we aren't eating her)
Cinnamon - red sex link
Pete - red sex link
Mickey - mixed bantam roo
Professor Von Drake - cochin bantam
Daisy - mixed bantam roo - thought he was a she at first, the name stuck
Goofy - white leghorn
Donald - tetra tint
Chubs - tetra tint - so named because she was a little bit of a hog and ended up bigger than the rest.
Screamer - mixed bantam - so named because she hated being held and would scream incessantly.
Santa Clause - mille fleur d'uccle bantam - because she has a "beard."
Joe's Favorite - mixed bantam roo - named because it was his uncle Joe's favorite chicken.

Can you tell his favorite show at the time was Mickey Mouse Clubhouse?

I have a bantam hen named Mykerion. My friend named her after a kid who used to come into her former workplace and she said it was funny how the kid's mother had to follow him around and yell at him, "Mykerion, put that back! Don't touch that!" and my friend later helped hatch some chicks at my house so I let her name them - and Mykerion was named in honor of that random kid.

(It's pronounced my-keer-ee-on, if you're wondering.)

Back
Top Bottom