Sweet PDZ?

Pics
I just got my first batch of chicks (ever!) earlier this week (2 each of Buff Orpingtons, Jersey Giants, and Black Laced and Golden Laced Wyandottes) and am thinking I really need to take a run to Rural King this afternoon... Right now, the babies are in the spare bedroom because the weather here in Ohio is so crazy, but they'll be moving to the basement this afternoon. :)

Attachments

• IMG_5216.JPG
    IMG_5216.JPG
    418.6 KB · Views: 11
For everyone not using a poop board with sweet PDZ, you should really try it. You will be amazed about the amount of waste you save and the coop will smell nice a fresh. I also use the granular form with a little play sand mixed in, works great.

I am using sand under my roosts and have sprinkled PDZ on top. It still smells in there. What is your sand to PDZ ratio?

In run aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO. Other stuff can be added but the wood does the best and biggest job and lasts the longest. Hard to find those this time of year. Garden center might have some uncolored and untreated mulch chunks that would stand in nicely. You could just toss some straw and pine shavings down, not too much of either one at once, should reduce the odor some until you get some bigger stuff.
As for the poop on the feet ... still ‘ewww’! ;)
I know, right!?
I swear sometimes they drop one and turn right around and step in it.
As long as you're not a chicken cuddler, it's really not an issue...tho they can track it into the nests, and then poopy eggs.

I know, right!?
I swear sometimes they drop one and turn right around and step in it.
As long as you're not a chicken cuddler, it's really not an issue...tho they can track it into the nests, and then poopy eggs.

Well then, that’s a problem! I actually am a chicken cuddler!!! I am constantly cleaning my jacket, they love to get on my back, arms and shoulders!

I'm in the middle of designing and building my 2nd coop. Originally I was going to make a poop hammocks for under the roosts, but after reading up on Sweet PDZ, I may do poop trays instead.

But before I dive right in, I do have a couple questions about the Sweet PDZ:

Can I still compost even with the Sweet PDZ with no ill effects?

Do any of you have issues with your chickens dusting in the Sweet PDZ?

Do you use straight Sweet PDZ or do you mix it with sand? Does it matter?

Thanks

Nick
I read that composting is fine— it seems to be working for me

Sweet PDZ is a horse stall refresher that, in gravel form, resembles cat litter but it smells better. It's 100% safe for use with chickens (I use it!). I have a poop shelf under my roosts in the coop and it's filled with Sweet PDZ. I scoop it every few days with a cat litter scoop and it keeps allllll that crazy night poop out of the coop and off the floor. It's a very clean way of doing things and I have yet to replace or add to my shavings in the coop in 21 weeks of them living there. PM me if you want more info or have questions.

I use PDZ too and I love it! But I’m curious to find out if it is safe to add the litter to my compost bin. Has anyone else looked into it?
I’d obviously like to use all this great chicken and Guinea poo in my garden, but worried the PDZ may not be good for vegetables?

Back
Top Bottom