Sweet PDZ?

View attachment 1632766 View attachment 1632765

We received our new (bigger) coop a couple of weeks ago. I have an area under the roosts that is sand and PDZ, not quite 4:1 - I’ll need to mix in more PDZ. Next I time I go to TSC I’ll get more PDZ (it’s about 45 min away). I have been sifting it every day - works well! The other area of the coop is pine shavings that I try to sift thru and will replace every 2 weeks or so. We will be adding more ventilation up top now that we have our final setup. We do have the gable end vents at the peak on both ends of the enclosed area. They are approx 15”x6” each

The run area is 7’x18’ - and mostly covered (see pic) - grass is pretty much gone now. Recommendations on what to put in the run area to keep the poop under control? Raking it is barely working! Starting to stink in there! And they have poop on their feet (that freaks me out!).

Working on more roosts in the pen (have a swing that is not in this photo) - they aren’t too keen on it because it moves. Eventually we’ll have a fenced in area around this coop for them to get out - but that will probably be a spring project unless we get some decent (rain free) weather here in S.E. PA.
After our chickens ate the grass down in their enclosed yard we added about 2-3 inches of pea gravel, then topped it off with 2-3 inches of All-Purpose sand. This really reduced the nasty poopy feet, helped the drainage, and I can rake up big messes. But so far the rain dissolves most poop. Of course this winter the poop will freeze, so I can sift it out if need be. This summer I plan to add DE to it as well.

I'd like to mix some PDZ in the sand inside coop in the poop boards. Is the horse stall granular safe & effective for chickens as the one advertised as Coop Refresher?
Yes....it's what most of us use.

If so, why do they sell both?
They sell the smaller bag of Coop Refresher...'because they can'... to make more money from those who aren't savvy enough to realize they are the same product at a much higher price. Or maybe for folks who can't store a larger bag.

Yes....it's what most of us use.

They sell the smaller bag of Coop Refresher...'because they can'... to make more money from those who aren't savvy enough to realize they are the same product at a much higher price. Or maybe for folks who can't store a larger bag.
Awesome! Thanks for the info!

I'm in the middle of designing and building my 2nd coop. Originally I was going to make a poop hammocks for under the roosts, but after reading up on Sweet PDZ, I may do poop trays instead.

But before I dive right in, I do have a couple questions about the Sweet PDZ:

Can I still compost even with the Sweet PDZ with no ill effects?

Do any of you have issues with your chickens dusting in the Sweet PDZ?

Do you use straight Sweet PDZ or do you mix it with sand? Does it matter?

Thanks

Nick
I read that composting is fine— it seems to be working for me

Sweet PDZ is a horse stall refresher that, in gravel form, resembles cat litter but it smells better. It's 100% safe for use with chickens (I use it!). I have a poop shelf under my roosts in the coop and it's filled with Sweet PDZ. I scoop it every few days with a cat litter scoop and it keeps allllll that crazy night poop out of the coop and off the floor. It's a very clean way of doing things and I have yet to replace or add to my shavings in the coop in 21 weeks of them living there. PM me if you want more info or have questions.

I use PDZ too and I love it! But I’m curious to find out if it is safe to add the litter to my compost bin. Has anyone else looked into it?
I’d obviously like to use all this great chicken and Guinea poo in my garden, but worried the PDZ may not be good for vegetables?

I use PDZ too and I love it! But I’m curious to find out if it is safe to add the litter to my compost bin. Has anyone else looked into it?
I’d obviously like to use all this great chicken and Guinea poo in my garden, but worried the PDZ may not be good for vegetables?
It's zeolite. Safe for compost. I read somewhere that it actually aids composting.

I've been putting it in my compost bins for 4 years, it's a tiny porus rock.

JT

Back
Top Bottom