Sweet PDZ?

Pics
I tried emailing the company to see if there was a retailer around here and I didn't receive a reply, even though their website says to email them to find the closest retailer. Grrrr.

I just picked up my first bag last night of Sweet PDZ and it appears I have the powder. Is the powder form OK to use? I did not see a choice of different PDZ at my feed store. So much to learn being a Newbie! :)

I just picked up my first bag last night of Sweet PDZ and it appears I have the powder. Is the powder form OK to use? I did not see a choice of different PDZ at my feed store. So much to learn being a Newbie!
smile.png

Is it a fine powder, like baking soda, or is it small granules, like the size of a poppy seed?

The powder is too fine to use with poultry, as it gets into their lungs easily.  You want the granules, with are like cat litter, or slightly smaller.

I took the powder PDZ out of the coop and replaced it with stall dry which is more of a kitty litter texture. After reading some posts it appears I went a little heavy on the stall dry. I didn't think to put a thin layer of stall dry on the bottom and top with pine shavings. I will have to fix that tonight. I learn something new everyday on BYC!
1f31e.png
1f414.png
1f413.png

Same with my feed store. I've been having problems finding it.

Sweet PDZ packages a "stall referesher" - the thing to know about that is that, as with any "specialty" product, once they slap "for horses" label on it and make it seem special they package it in a smaller bag and charge more per unit - example, 25 pounds of Stall Refresher $12+ -- vs 40 pounds of plainly packaged PDZ @ $15.

Many chains (TSC, etc) are hard to get special order products in because they are more at the mercy of what corporate wants them to carry/not carry - if you have a small feed or garden shop in your area I would make inquiries there - because even if they don't keep it in stock chances are they can order it in and most can add single bags/items to their regular weekly order from their suppliers w/out adding any extra costs. Our local mom/pop feed & garden shop is fabulous at this - he had NO idea what I was talking about when I said "PDZ", checked his suppliers' various lists and found it, ordered it and had it for me the next week when the truck came in. He's done the same for various feeds I've wanted - and, in fact, when he started getting them in for me found there is a market for them with others so now he stocks them regularly - win/win.

I live in western WA, and have had an impossible time finding this product. I was finally able to get a 25 lb bag online from here: http://www.horse.com/item/sweet-pdz-stall-freshener/SLT311771/. When I first clicked on this site I was offered a $10 discount plus free shipping for anything over $49, except that this is bulk so there was an additional per pound for shipping. The cost for one bag is only $11.49, so with the $10 discount that was a great deal. Since I didn't find enough that I wanted on the site to bring the cost up to the free shipping level, I paid the $8.99 shipping charge, plus the $8 shipping weight surcharge, for a total of $18.48 for a 25# bag. A bit more expensive than I wanted, but I really want to try it. If I love it, I'll work a bit harder to find something local.

Back
Top Bottom