Ended Tell Us Your Funniest Chicken Story to Win Six Bags of Feed from Nutrena!

this is still talked about at the feed store and now when I buy baby chicks they always ask if I need more vaseline and Q-tips. HAHA

Well, the little ones do sometimes get "pasty butt" and you have to use a Q-tip or paper towel and warm water on them. So, while the Vaseline wasn't necessary, you have the skills to deal with a common ailment of youngins.

Today, on 'As the World Crows'... There are some new kids in town, as 8 new residents move into Hollowell House. (Old residents: Victoria, Carly Sue, Marley and the 6 original Hollowells. New Residents: Mason, Jimmy, Carole, Connie, Joe, Lorraine, Madison, and Sparkle)

Mason, the new muscle man has immediately established dominance, taking both Victoria and Carly Sue as his girlfriends. Greedy, greedy man!

Jimmy, his woman Connie, daughter Carole, and son Joe, also join the coop. They are all distraught over Joe's separate quarters. He is much too young to be allowed to fraternize with the other residents of Hollowell House. Jimmy, Connie and Carole stay together in the corner of the yard, unsure of the others, knowing they will never measure up to the rest in stature, but still holding their own.

Bunking with Joe are newcomers Lorraine and Madison, who, although older than Joe, are also too young to join the big boys and girls. Lorraine and Madison are picking on Joe, true to their elementary school ages. Wonder if they are giving him cooties.

Sparkle, in pure diva fashion, has joined Hollowell House as the smallest of the newcomers allowed to hang with the older ones. The old residents of the house are trying to show her who's boss, but spunky little Sparkle won't let them get her down. She is fast, very fast. Should've been named Flo-Jo.

The 6 Hollowells, founding residents of Hollowell House, have uncharacteristically taken this all in stride, but want nothing to do with the new big man in town. Hum...

Will Mason be able to juggle two girlfriends? Will Joe adapt to living without his parents and sister? Will Sparkle be able to survive the drama? Will Madison and Lorraine ever stop picking on Joe?

Until next time, on As the World Crows...

My funniest chicken story:

Umm... where to begin. :)

I was holding my year old hen "Pumpkin"(this was two years ago) And I decided I wanted to hold my chicken on my shoulder. So I placed Her carefully on myy shoulder and began to walk around. Pumpkin was a very docile creature and was a HUGE Buff Orpington. My shoulder got tired of carrying her enormous weight so i turned towards her to lift her off. I saw a golden chicken face right in front of mine... just before I had a small chunk ripped out of my eye.
th.gif
(My eye throbbed but I had to get it dialated but i was fine.) My chicken just sat there like nothing happened!!!!!!

My second story:

In the spring we bought 8 chicks. One of my three EE's Named Smokey LOVED my sisters bead chain... we used to play with him for HOURS!! Then after 2 months with out and after we taught her ,her name we decided to see if she remembered. As soon as she saw it she flew clear into the air and ran to the string!
lau.gif

My funniest chicken story:

Umm... where to begin. :)

I was holding my year old hen "Pumpkin"(this was two years ago) And I decided I wanted to hold my chicken on my shoulder. So I placed Her carefully on myy shoulder and began to walk around. Pumpkin was a very docile creature and was a HUGE Buff Orpington. My shoulder got tired of carrying her enormous weight so i turned towards her to lift her off. I saw a golden chicken face right in front of mine... just before I had a small chunk ripped out of my eye.
th.gif
(My eye throbbed but I had to get it dialated but i was fine.) My chicken just sat there like nothing happened!!!!!!

My second story:

In the spring we bought 8 chicks. One of my three EE's Named Smokey LOVED my sisters bead chain... we used to play with him for HOURS!! Then after 2 months with out and after we taught her ,her name we decided to see if she remembered. As soon as she saw it she flew clear into the air and ran to the string!
lau.gif
they are not very funny... tho:(

I lost my glasses somewhere in the field a couple weeks ago....It was dusk the other night and .I'm pushing my wheel barrell through the little yard , through a gate....and past our lean 2 to the feed barrells. On the right I have a itzy bitsy pond with a couple big gold fish in it. Very bad for chickens, they drink out of it....I said "Com on Izzy- time to get home... Hurry up".... Get another wheelbarrell full...."Izzy what's up---I'm gonna lock everybody in but u"....On the 3 rd trip I had a bad feeling, because she would usually just jump up on the wheelbarrell by now. I go over and it's a big old coal bucket, my husband left there..... Izzy was already in the coop!!

One afternoon, I went outside to check on the girls, as they are fondly called, I found two of them happily scratching at the dirt. I couldn't find the other two, but I could hear them. Our coop is near the side of the house, the run is slightly lower then the roof of the coop. Several times I have found these naughty girls on top of the run or the coop. I was near the shed calling them, but I still couldn't see them. They couldn't have gotten into the shed, so I had no idea where they could be. Then I realized their answer to my calls were coming from above. I look up, and to my surprise, my two MIA chickens were looking at me from the roof of my house. They looked at me oh so innocently as if to say "what? We're supposed to be up here, we're the new security system." I was wondering what gave them the notion to get up on the roof and how on earth was I going to get them down? I started talking to them, trying to coax them into getting down. I walked to the side of the house and it was then that I realized how they got onto the roof. They had jumped onto the run, onto the coop and then the roof. I managed to talk them down onto the run, and from there I got them on the ground where they belonged.

One afternoon, I went outside to check on the girls, as they are fondly called, I found two of them happily scratching at the dirt. I couldn't find the other two, but I could hear them. Our coop is near the side of the house, the run is slightly lower then the roof of the coop. Several times I have found these naughty girls on top of the run or the coop. I was near the shed calling them, but I still couldn't see them. They couldn't have gotten into the shed, so I had no idea where they could be. Then I realized their answer to my calls were coming from above. I look up, and to my surprise, my two MIA chickens were looking at me from the roof of my house. They looked at me oh so innocently as if to say "what? We're supposed to be up here, we're the new security system." I was wondering what gave them the notion to get up on the roof and how on earth was I going to get them down? I started talking to them, trying to coax them into getting down. I walked to the side of the house and it was then that I realized how they got onto the roof. They had jumped onto the run, onto the coop and then the roof. I managed to talk them down onto the run, and from there I got them on the ground where they belonged.

Those two look like trouble!
lau.gif

It's funny now, but it wasn't that night... I was startled out of a deep, relaxing sleep to hear the piercing clucks and screeching sounds coming from the chicken house. I ran out butt naked, with flashlight in hand afraid to look what was happening!!! I shined the light combing every nook, “voila”, there he was! Rocky Raccoon with his black, masked eyes. Busted! Oh, yeah, he was there to do some damage, He had attempted to get Leona, my favorite hen, she was wobbling around in the corner but still alive. I yelled “get out, go away, sheww", but Rocky just stayed there, staring at me. This was not his first trip, I had lost several other hens before. My chickens were still clucking and crying, lost in the dark...scared out of their feathers!
I ran frantically back into the house and screamed to my husband, "It's Leona, a raccoon is trying to kill her!" He jumped up, went straight to the closet, got his gun, and followed me outside. I stood there, inside the coop shining the light on the cornered, wild animal, while my DH took aim (through the chicken wire) and blew Rocky's head off!, "whew, that was close! I was between the gun and the raccoon standing there holding the light, butt naked, as the bullet wooshed by me! Too close for comfort, but all is well, we all made it through another cold, November night in the country. Funny now to think back…

Last edited:
Our funniest chicken story is our first chicken story. We are new to the chicken world. We decided to purchase 10 hens about 30 miles from our home. We were excited about the pre-planning we had accomplished. Our chicken tractor was built, laying pellets purchased, water containers in place and a collapsible cage was in the car for our chicken pick-up. What we didn't take into consideration was the fact that we own a 4-door Elantra. A small car. So, when we collected the hens and placed the cage in the front passenger seat, it made us say, "What were we thinking? How do we all fit?" (Me, my husband and two children. One child who was in a car seat.) Needless to say, we laughed all the way home. I managed to squeeze into the back between the boys and my husband was able to manage the wheel with a little adjustment. Man! You should have seen the looks we got once we got onto the highway. Needless to say, we have been a happy chicken family since. Moral of the story........laughter is the best medicine. Especially with chickens in your front seat.

Back
Top Bottom