Thanksgiving Hatchalong

eBay is where I got mine from, I'm only on day 2 and they are taunting me.....I keep telling myself "hands off for 5 more days!" I can make it 5 more days before I candle, right??

Yes you can. I have to wait until Friday to candle mine, it's killing me too. We have to do what is best for the babies though ;)

My first egg pipped last night. There's been no progress so I'm feeling really impatient. I've had humidity issues since lock down as I haven't used this incubator before (or any incubator for that matter) but I seem to have sorted that out. I just need to remind myself that I only wanted 4 chickens so if all 9 don't hatch it's not too much of a problem. It's just that they all seemed alive at lock down and if they don't make it then I killed them.

Just be patient. I've read that you need to give it 24 hours from first pip before you should consider assisting. Can you talk or whistle to them? Many times they will chirp back :)

Just be patient. I've read that you need to give it 24 hours from first pip before you should consider assisting. Can you talk or whistle to them? Many times they will chirp back
smile.png

Yep, 18 hours in and it started zipping and after an hour is nearly through. Five more have pipped.

Yes you can. I have to wait until Friday to candle mine, it's killing me too. We have to do what is best for the babies though
wink.png
AAAAhhhhhh!!! HAYDEN?!?! HI neighbor!!!

**coughcough**So sorry... Currently in Rathdrum, formerly in Post Falls, house is being built a little north of Rathdrum currently... (edit: living with inlaws until house is finished. Sold home in PF last month
celebrate.gif
, luckily my inlaws LOVE chickens.)

So, did our 7 day candle tonight (technically in 1 hr would be day 7), out of 12 eggs sent, 6 were clears, 6 had awesome development. 2 more weeks to go! Currently clear eggs are sitting on the counter cooling off, trying to decide if i want to do an eggtopsy on them or not. Almost all the eggs had rolling aircells, and about 3 of the clears had air bubbles throughout the egg, so obviously scrambled from shipment. Don't know if I should bother or not...

Last edited:
After yesterday's bout with frustration, today has started much more peaceful. I thought I might share some early morning tranquility with the other hatchers here in the hatch-a-long. :)

Day 6 - Eggs are still in the bator.

Kinda like watching paint dry. Well, at least I have stuff to do to keep me busy. I have to finish the new brooder in the new coop area, and I need to clean/refresh the bedding in the other coops. Plus re-do some wiring in the barn..

And try to better understand why, with 5 male ducks and 5 female ducks, I am now getting 6 eggs a day from them. I have my suspicions one of them isn't the sex my sister thinks it is.

AAAAhhhhhh!!! HAYDEN?!?! HI neighbor!!!

**coughcough**So sorry... Currently in Rathdrum, formerly in Post Falls, house is being built a little north of Rathdrum currently... (edit: living with inlaws until house is finished. Sold home in PF last month :celebrate , luckily my inlaws LOVE chickens.)

So, did our 7 day candle tonight (technically in 1 hr would be day 7), out of 12 eggs sent, 6 were clears, 6 had awesome development. 2 more weeks to go!  Currently clear eggs are sitting on the counter cooling off, trying to decide if i want to do an eggtopsy on them or not. Almost all the eggs had rolling aircells, and about 3 of the clears had air bubbles throughout the egg, so obviously scrambled from shipment. Don't know if I should bother or not...

That is so cool, never really thought I'd meet someone so close to home :) We're not far from Silverwood. Pretty exciting about your eggs, bummer half of them were clears. I will candle Friday after work. Take care!

I can't believe all 9 of my chicks hatched!!! I've never done this before and thought I'd botched everything up at lock down because I couldn't get the humidity right but they're all here!!!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom