The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, another one is addicted!
wink.png
That was me and my kids some years ago. They have pretty much become blasè about it...my 16 year old daughter still will check it and then run in to say "Mom! Another chick hatched or Did you know there are 6 chicks in there?" But I am an addict and even when I say I won't hatch anymore the coming Spring, and even go so far to think about selling all of my incubators, I end up dragging it all out and buying eggs, hatching multiple clutches of chicks and sometimes even bring in my Mandarin's eggs and hatch them indoor. Mostly, I let them keep their eggs and do the hatching...much less work that way. (but way less fun!)

Well, I've had several clutches of eggs "out". I gave 15 to a friend who incubated. I think he put too much water in the incubator at the end, only one duckling survived. I gave another half-dozen to a friend who incubated with a hen. Two eggs were rejected, two broken when the chickens "argued" over who got to sit, and two hatchlings. So out of 21 eggs only three ducklings. I let my own mama duck sit. I have had 5 chicks hatch, two more eggs are pipped, and she has others still.

She started with 19 eggs. I removed two that looked infertile and three more failed for one reason or another. I think something might have been going in the mother's cage and stealing eggs or harassing her.

Basically, for my egg investment the mama duck seems to be the best bet.

i AM SO HAPPY My shipped white marans are hatching upper great. They were shipped all the way cross country. there in my brinsea 20 all but 3 eggs have hatched one which a home grown. I am doing a happy dance. The other bator mot the EEs have hatch, the wheaten marans ae beginning to pip.
I am controlling the humidity with the air vents. seem to be working quiet well to keep it up there.
Back to work grooming dogs sold all my eggs today too. business is good.
Off too the river for my daughters birthday, Easter combo party. Taco from early supper.
Wait tell I tell them cannot stay to long my chickens are hatching. I can hear them now,. AW MOMS YOOUR CRAZY TOO MANY CHICKEN ALREADY TEE HEE HEE lol
ps MY DAUGHTER NOW HAS CHICKENS TOO. mY SON SAY NEVER.....
Coffee brake over happy hatching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe they're just sleeping
smile.png
I think that I worry too much, but after finding a dead chick and a missing egg.... My flock is in a state of unrest. The girls had to sleep in the dog crate and Smoke laid her egg in my ATV. I had to lock Penny in the pen to force her to lay in the crate. She was looking for a new spot because the coop is blocked off to keep Rumples safe.
he.gif
The stress is awful!!
barnie.gif
At least I know that I am not alone in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom