The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in, too! It's been quite awhile since I've hatched eggs but brought out the incubator and started collecting eggs from the groups with a Marans roos. Should be interesting to see some of the results from the other breed hens!

This is hysterical..Love the way he starts to figure it out and is looking back and forth for her head lol!!!! What a goof!

Hahah I know! Im setting eggs from this run for the HAL. He covers his mom and 3 sisters. His fertilization is always right on, so at least he does his job...lol but THIS is a whole different story. LOL

you can see his mom (the orange one) behind him looking at him like he's crazy! LOL

Hahah

Last edited:
Going to end up eating my words on "I'm going to set all the eggs I get this week" lol....I got 5 times, more than I was expecting....for one day!

Oh boy, what fun! Everyone's talking bees and getting memberships and incubators and diapers and power back on and and....... So exciting!

If I set my Icelandic chicken eggs today, is it too early to actually be counted toward the HAL numbers? Some of them are over a week old and I'd rather not wait and waste the viability.

Going to end up eating my words on "I'm going to set all the eggs I get this week" lol....I got 5 times, more than I was expecting....for one day!
yuckyuck.gif
if your incubator is too small you will eat the eggs not your words
old.gif
lau.gif

Happy, it's wonderful seeing all of those bees!
Thank you, they are fascinating insects.

my hens started increasing their egg production yesterday, just in time
clap.gif
woot.gif

So I went toTSC TO get 2 bags of chick feed since I gt my ducks and geese from Metzer farms is 2 weeks. Well since they know me soo well and they love me since I know a lot about chickens and a lot of people ask me questions they gave me a present.... Here's a pix and yes they were the last 2 and they are bantams im think Mille de fleur d'uccles and a serema

And my duck got his diaper today so now he's a house duck
Cuties Nate!

Look what showed up today!
Wow, that's amazing. I'd be in big trouble with a huge incubator like that.

I agree. Bees are so important. We don't spray any of our trees or plants. We plan to get ourselves bees soon too. We have been taking a few years to learn all we can about bee keeping. I hope we can get them next Spring.
I read a lot. I don't have a local Beekeeping Association, so mostly, I've learned by trial and error. There is a new beekeeping section on BYH.

I need to start collecting quail eggs. I kinda am, but that only kinda counts.
lol.png

Oh boy, what fun! Everyone's talking bees and getting memberships and incubators and diapers and power back on and and....... So exciting!

If I set my Icelandic chicken eggs today, is it too early to actually be counted toward the HAL numbers? Some of them are over a week old and I'd rather not wait and waste the viability.
If you can wait til Thursday, they will count.

You guys recommend the advanced or Eco Brinsea octagon incubator? Or is it better to buy a mini advance?
How many eggs do you want to be able to incubate at a time?

You guys recommend the advanced or Eco Brinsea octagon incubator? Or is it better to buy a mini advance?

I have the Eco Octagon and I love it. It will hardly ever fluctuate and when it does it's one or maaaaybe two degrees at most and not for long. The big thing is do you have the time to turn your own eggs? It only takes 10 seconds to do it in the octagon since you just turn the whole incubator instead of each egg. but you need to make sure you can turn them at least 3 times a day. In reality they are all the same in quality it just depends on what you need it to do.

I have an Octagon 20 Advance and so far it's been great! I check it a couple times a day to make sure temp and humidity are good. It autoturns, so that's helpful. And I like the cool down feature - mimics what happens in nature. That said, I'll also be using my homemade incubator for the HAL, which is hands on everything!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom