The agony of temp drop

Thanks for that advice. I will look one up on the internet. I'm sure to find one somewhere. I know how much water to put in the incubator every day, but there's no explanation of the little hole on the cover as to whether it should be fully opened, closed or somewhere in between. But I have great results (apart from my one miserable failure last Christmas) so I guess I must be doing something right. Cheers.

Aahhh! I can hear peeping from the incubator!! At least one is trying to make it... The suspense may kill me yet!
Isn't this the most exciting time? When my granddaughter flew over from Perth (the other side of the country) to spend some time with me, some eggs hatched. She was so intrigued that dinner was forgotten (we turned the stove off) while we filmed the whole sequence. No matter how many times I see a chick hatch it is still an amazing experience as they finally break through and struggle out of the egg. Enjoy!

Thanks for that advice. I will look one up on the internet. I'm sure to find one somewhere. I know how much water to put in the incubator every day, but there's no explanation of the little hole on the cover as to whether it should be fully opened, closed or somewhere in between. But I have great results (apart from my one miserable failure last Christmas) so I guess I must be doing something right. Cheers.

I can't say for certain, but in reading up on my incubator, the hole in the cover has something to do with operating the incubator at altitude. The instructions say to leave it closed at sea level and open it at altitude. I don't know more than that; I'm at sea level, so the specifics for operating at altitude didn't apply to me.

Maybe I should try and decipher the Chinese instruction booklet again. Although it's all double Dutch to me. Whoever translates into English doesn't do a very good job, but another attempt might lead to an answer. Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.

I wouldn't go by the instruction manual, anyway. They often don't give the best advice, especially in regards to humidity/how much water to add, and using the plugs. The manuals are about as useful as the built in gauges (that is, not at all).

If by "Chinese Incubator" you are referring to the cheap Chinese Incubator, it has a digital hygrometer built in.
Regardless, the little plugs are to be removed just a day or two before hatching in order to allow more oxygen.
Add water to the tray to raise the humidity and too humid is worse than too dry.

Back
Top Bottom