The American Paint Silkie

Pics
Now after all of this dialogue I have been examining a few of my adult males (white) who have a few dark feathers at the back of their heads and at the tail level as well... (they are about 4 1/2 months old....Could they be paints....I'm assuming they were recessive whites....I'll need to post this here. And yes, this is entirely fascinating to me and especially since I may have a carriers of paint. My husband says to wash them very well, they may be dirty, but that is NOT the fact. Well will try to post at least 2 pics of this tomorrow... Fascinating. I still think that paints might need to be periodically refreshed as we do with our lavendars. The more I know about genetics, the less i know But I do love silkies of all colors!

Quote:
And they say that the blks don't have the paint gene. Guess you proved that wrong!!! Yes!!!!!!!!!!

I was generously given a black male yesterday (thanks April from H&H!) that is originally from Bren in TX from the paint silkie pens. He doesn't have any spots showing and he is a solid black/blue color throughout, but I am just curious if it might be possible that the paint gene could be similar to the way the chocolate gene works, where the males don't show it unless they carry 2 copies of it? I doubt it, but just wondering how someone got paints out of a black crossed to a regular recessive white. I have no trouble seeing how paint x recessive white gives paints, since the recessive white won't show in the F1 and the chicks will have the black and the dominant white/paint from the paint-parent.

For those of you breeding paint to paint, are the black chicks always turning out to be males, or are there some black females being produced from that mating as well?

I will put this black boy over my 2 black hens this coming spring (assume he isn't taken by a raccoon before that, which is what happened to my other black rooster). Hopefully whatever I end up with will help be a clue to figuring out the genetic mystery of it all. I am predicting I get 100% black (not really an optimist, am I), but, who knows!

Last edited:
Quote:
And they say that the blks don't have the paint gene. Guess you proved that wrong!!! Yes!!!!!!!!!!

For those of you breeding paint to paint, are the black chicks always turning out to be males, or are there some black females being produced from that mating as well?

of my blacks from paint they run 50/50 male/female. My paints are dutch any may carry a different set of genes,
American and Dutch paints were developed completely apart, half a world away

Quote:
I have been wondering this also. I have heard that it's like a combination of the two but I know Bobbi Porto has gotten normal appearing paints from a supposedly splashxsplash mating. Im guessing her roo has the paint gene. I have also seen some that were splash but with big paint splatters mixed in. I don't think enough paintxsplash matings have been done or studied enough to know for sure..

Hope George chimes in on this but he has hatched some paint/splash chicks and the color is soooooooo
beautiful!!!!!! Nothing I have even seen b4!

I saw a paint pullet at the auction out here on Sat. I can't believe I missed her. The lady who bought her is mysterious.. She leaves right away once she buys something and comes back at 3pm and leaves again. We came back at around 3:45 and she was gone.
This Sat. we're gonna get to the auction early and find this lady. Maybe I can haggle with her. Or just buy the bird from her.

That silkie was gorgeous, and it can't be the only paint in the AV. Some guys that work at the auction are gonna help me find some paints.

I was playing with the chicken color calculator and noticed that a piebald bred to a porcelain produce all piebald chicks. Is a piebald similar to a paint?
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom