the better chicken mates - goats, pigs or sheep

tricia

Songster
12 Years
13 Years
Jan 25, 2007
West Central Wisconsin
We are thinking about getting a couple of either goats, pigs or sheep. We want something that will 'mow' weedy areas. I read the posts on "sticker eaters" but I am wondering if any of these can be penned with the chickens, what makes the best watchdog, or what would be most recommended. Thanks in advance for any advice!

By the way, I am not interested in meat, milk or breeding, so wethers are fine.

IMO sheep. But that's only because I used to raise them and wish I had them again. I had one ewe that would scare off any dogs on the other side of the fence. I have fond memories of my "sheep in da hood." They were in downtown Kansas City at a magnet high school. We went to state fair and ours were the only ones sound asleep during the concerts and fireworks because they were used to loud noise. Poor sheep.
sad.png
I had to give them all away when I graduated because the would not let me keep them there anymore.

Last edited:
I'd recommend strongly against pigs. When I was in the FFA we had a person drop off a chicken at our farm. Everything went fine for a few days until a pig bit her head off.

I raise all of those and each has an assembly of chickens which hangs out with them, cleaning up the grain/feed gleanings.

As far as brush control, I run my male goats with the pigs. The goats pull down the tall stuff, the pigs stomp it.

But, sheep cannot be beat for "mowing" a pasture and making it look good.

Pigs make the farm go around.

Silly question: if they aren't eating grass/weeds what would I feed them?

Everything went fine for a few days until a pig bit her head off.

YIKES!!!​

Pigs are single stomached creatures so must be grained. they cannot live on forage alone, like grasses and weeds... although they do "root" up roots and eat them. But you need a lot of forest to run them in to not feed them.

Quote:
Personally I loved the pigs on our farm. They were the best tempered and most intelligent animal out there. They were especially good at finding the eggs the hen would hide and eating them. The running theory was the chicken upset the pig and the pig just responded as it normally would. The hen was pretty fearless and had no problem pecking the pigs out of the way to get to their food. Unfortunately she chose to peck the wrong pig.

Back
Top Bottom