The EE braggers thread!!!

Awww...I'm sorry to hear about the possum getting your rooster! He was probably trying to protect his hens, doing his job.

When I see people post pictures of "cute foxes" and "cute raccoons" on Facebook, I just cringe. Watching a fox run down the road with one of our chickens in its mouth cured us of any "how cute" factor immediately. We've lost 3 to the local fox population that we've personally witnessed. We considered keeping our chickens in the coop 24/7, but think they just aren't as happy as when they get out for a few hours every day.

Thanks.

And
welcome-byc.gif
and the Easter Egger thread.
From Mabelvale, Arkansas.

I have a young one not qutie ready for breeding coming up.

I have a young (hatched out in Feb.) Polisah rooster I may put in with the hens and do a small hatch later this year for some Crested EE (my project).

Last edited:
Draye, sorry about your roo, this has been a bad week for several byc'ers birds and preditors.

I used to think foxes, hawks (raptors) and raccoons were cute too back in the B.C. days (before chickens)

I still think they are cute, they just better stay outa my yard or I will turn the dogs loose to have a snack.......... or get out my 12 guage, whatever is faster........... and possems are not cute at all if ya see em up close.........

like my friend on here OKallthisforeggs said... "a fox has outstanding hunting skills that allow it to catch prey in it's food chain. to go after defenseless domesticated animals deserves a bullet" ... now, i love wildlife, all of it. and i know that fox and all the rest need to eat. i just wish they wouldn't eat my friends. Fox are beautiful animals... i can't deny it... and i try not to be angry that it took an opportunity for an easy meal... but i won't make it so easy ever again.

and yeah, possums are like enormous rats... freaky... years ago i took my dog out for a late night pee and there was a possum walking along the top of my chain link fence! thank goodness i was out with the dog bc she went straight to it and i was so afraid that the possum would leap off the fence and land right on top of her - they were roughly the same size! i was able to grab her harness and pull her back. stuff of nightmares...

The possums around here are fairly brazen... I remember, several years ago, letting my two shelties out one night to go potty. Ajax did his normal potty squat close to the door, Logan instantly rushed out to what I later made out to be a possum... But Logan was never a vocal dog (odd for a sheltie actually... I miss him so much) The possum didn't run, or play dead... it just stood there and greeted Logan... Surprised and confused that it did not run away at the sight of his swift approach... Logan was left no other alternative but to sniff it's butt like it was a small dog and then go elsewhere to take care of his potty business like everything was normal. I was so scared that Logan was going to get bit or otherwise injured during the 30 second encounter... So as soon as I could tell that Logan was done, I called both dogs in before anymore was made of it.

I know we have raccoons, possums, skunks, fox and coyotes in the woods behind my house as well as wild turkeys, pheasants, mice, snakes and all manner of woodland fauna... but I haven't seen any sign of the worrisome ones around my coop so far. The only thing I've seen in the coop itself is a mole... and I flooded his little tunnel on him... haven't seen him back since then either.

Incidentally, here's a shot of Ajax being tested out around the chickens today. Such a good dog. You can see one of my easter eggers there, Yolanda in fact, investigating... What you can't see, is Zoe, my Brown Leghorn... she's standing on the other side of Ajax picking bits of grass out of the fur on his butt.

i just got back from the state fair here in oregon and i go check my girls and the first thing a find in the nesting box is a beautiful greenish blue egg so cute will post pics of it soon im so happy one of my EE girls laid an egg yay
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
yesss.gif

Back
Top Bottom