The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

You and I are heading in the same direction I think. You could always breed bantam barred rocks or Brahma. I like them big or small. Not a big fan of the in between breeds.

I'm not that fond of bantam BRs. The breeder I got the Delaware eggs from had started a bantam Buff Brahma program and had some beauties, but I'm not sure I much liked those, either. I'd have to see them in person, I guess. I suppose I'm really not much of a bantam person overall. I've only had a couple of bantam Cochins and the Belgian D'Anvers. As far as in-between chickens, I had one I did like, my Silver Phoenix hen, Molly. She was LF, but a very small bodied one, about 4 lb, maybe a little more. And such a beauty, too. She died not long after her chicks hatched. I had to give them to Aimee, whose chicks were a week older than Molly's.
DSCN5333.jpg
DSCN5335.jpg
DSCN5338.jpg
DSCN5403.jpg

I think to bed chickens on hay (or straw, better at absorbing moisture and softer) you need quite large space. Hay or straw in a small coop becomes matted, wet, moldy and stinky, unless changed frequently. Shavings are more absorbent and easier to clean out, as hay/straw tends to mat up. It is especially tough to clean out when frozen.

I do throw a little hay or straw down outside in the pen in winter, and when it is really muddy, to encourage the girls to come out, but there is lots of fresh air out there, and it breaks down well.

I'm not that fond of bantam BRs. The breeder I got the Delaware eggs from had started a bantam Buff Brahma program and had some beauties, but I'm not sure I much liked those, either. I'd have to see them in person, I guess. I suppose I'm really not much of a bantam person overall. I've only had a couple of bantam Cochins and the Belgian D'Anvers. As far as in-between chickens, I had one I did like, my Silver Phoenix hen, Molly. She was LF, but a very small bodied one, about 4 lb, maybe a little more. And such a beauty, too. She died not long after her chicks hatched. I had to give them to Aimee, whose chicks were a week older than Molly's. View attachment 1210242 View attachment 1210243 View attachment 1210244 View attachment 1210263
She was a gorgeous girl. I haven't tried the breed. Strange she died like that.

It has gotten a bit colder here and I have been using one of your circle scarfs, they work wonderfully, and the poncho is working very well to. Easy to toss off as needed. Thank you again.

Cyn I have become quite fond of Bantams lately... We added Dark Cornish Bantams and Partridge Silkies to our project and they are all really nice birds... I'm a sucker for those thick little chubby headed things... Gotta love those heavy brows...

IMG_6967.JPG
IMG_6970.JPG
IMG_7324.JPG

Back
Top Bottom