THE firewood thread

Pics

Ole and Lena

Songster
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Wright Co Minnesota
With a healthy chill in the air tonight, thought I'd talk firewood. Tools, old time tricks, new technology, scrounging/sourcing free or low cost wood, species selection, woodlot management etc are all fair game. I'll testify to my credibility on this subject having worked as a logger, studying forestry in college, burning wood all my life and studying woodcraft under some of the best oldtimers in the North Woods.

Lets start with tools today. I just bought a 59,9CC Echo chainsaw. Going out on a limb a bit here, being a long time Jonsered/Husky guy but it's got good reviews and seems to be a solid, well put together saw for $400 out the door equipped with quality Oregon chisel chain and a 20" bar. Preliminary handling and performance on a couple light logs in the backyard is good. I should have a more detailed report by Dec. when I get into some serious wood.

A quality chainsaw is a must for anybody considering heating with wood in a cold climate. If it says Jonsered, Husqvarna or Stihl it's a pretty safe bet to be a good machine. We'll see about the Echos. If you only use wood occasionally, say less than 2 cords a year you can get by with a big box store Poulan or similar, but if you can afford it, the quality saw will give you better performance for more time with less maintenance. For any serious firewood cutting, I'd say 50cc and 18" bar would be the absolute minimum I would consider. If your typical tree is under 12", a 50-55cc "pro" saw will be a firewood making juggernaut for you. My Jonsered 2152 has served beautifully in this regard for 6 years cutting about 8 cords of hardwood per year with minimal maintenance. Finally had the carb rebuilt last year. For larger trees or any production logging, I'd step up to the 60-70cc range. If you're an experienced cutter, "chisel" cutter chain will seriously outperform "semi-chisel" or low profile chain. The only time I use semi-chisel is when I am cutting very dirty wood.

If you can afford a gas splitter great. I prefer the cost and exercise of hand splitting. I use a Fiskars firewood axe. Gronfors Brukks and similar designs are truly awesome but expensive. Stihl also makes a quality splitting axe. Forget the Hudson style axes and heavy wedge mauls for splitting. The first is not designed for serious wood splitting but works well for kindling or very straight grained wood, the second is outdated garbage. If you really hate your back, get a 12 lb wedge maul. You'll work twice as hard for half the wood I can make with my Fiskars. You should almost never have to drive a wedge with a sledge unless you're making timbers. It is good to have one around to free the occasional chainsaw bar pinched in a kerf or axe stuck in a log though. They make nice .22 targets too. Just drive it into a stump and plink away. 2 of them driven into a stump make a good field expedient vice-clamp to work on tools or sharpen saw chain.

I agree with all of the above! I'm retired and recently moved to a nice log home on nearly 6 hilly acres, much to many friends' and neighbors' dismay. Hiking up this terrain quickly resulted in a small weight loss, stronger legs, and improved aerobic capacity. The dogs and I enjoy the 1/2 mile stroll to the mailbox and back. I've had about 4-5 cords of firewood delivered so far and enjoyed stacking it. I just take my time, one piece at a time. I count my blessings everyday! I have aches and pains, but I know this place will keep me going long after my dismayed friends are in the nursing home!

One of our wood piles.
received_1424812444303813.jpeg

Heel low:

My hubby :) His family own a STIHL dealership so they are pretty serious about chainsaws and firewood! Haha

You would have extra interest in this thread indeed! :hugs

@ScottandSam

Is that long rig ladderish like thang also called an Alaska Mill? I have one something like that and a humongous STILH to go with. :p

My faller father outfitted the entire inside of his house (well OK, except the parts where he used local rock!) with rough sawn yellow and red cedar. From falling, hauling, drying, milling, squaring it up to installation...it was from forest to home with wood.

I been meaning to come post our initial firewood hauling from early this year.

Jul 08 2017 IMGP7116.jpg

July 8 2017

In the midst now of my spouse hauling in a load here and there after work. He cuts and loads, comes home, I off load and stack; even Steven...as both our butts benefit from the warmth of a fire.

He is working up to a splitting bee where I'll be hauling the splits and filling up the wood racks for our walls of wood. Not this year's or even NEXT year's firewood to burn...but topping up the supply for three years from now.

Jul 08 2017 IMGP7129.jpg

Fur two old persons...we done good! LOL :highfive:

Jul 08 2017 IMGP7182.jpg

Great way to start the firewood season off!

And as serious as we are about firewood...we are just as serious about enjoying the excursions. Life is what you make of it and pretty down to basics...water, food, shelter and wood for warmth. Primal and yet, gives a human that internal feeling of satisfaction...knowing you got your wood supply stowed away, ready for immanent winter--can't stop the cold coming, better embrace it with full on enthusiasm. Get er done!
:woot

I think I've posted on here how Rick enjoys getting wood with his wife...we have lunch, breaks, we work, but we also enjoy the scenery and the wildlife...we make it an early day, but hey, it's a full on good time had by all. ;)

Jul 08 2017 IMGP7232.jpg

After getting the trailer load...
We drove back thru this area and on the other side...
We flushed out one of these pretty fellas... :)

Jul 08 2017 IMGP7236.jpg

Antigone canadensis or Sandhill Crane

Jul 08 2017 IMGP7243.jpg

Love this shot..I even captured a dragonfly (Anisoptera) upper left corner!
:love

Jul 08 2017 IMGP7238.jpg

Rick has always made what others call "work," fun. He drove 25 K outta the way...just so I could take clicks of these. He had noticed them blooming in the ditch and thought well enough ahead he planned a little side trip to give me an opportunity to click pics of purdy flowers! After a bita work, some play time, eh. :cool:

Jul 08 2017 IMGP7258.jpg

We left home (2.5 hour drive to just get there) early enough...
We cut the load, loaded it and were out and gone before the bugs showed up!
Now that's timing! :yesss:

Jul 08 2017 IMGP7307.jpg

Cool enough there are dewdrops still on the petals! :hit

Jul 8 2017 IMGP7293.jpg

Gorgeous wild flowers in the Wooded Wilds :lol:

He never has to say more than "Gonna make a trip to get Firewood at such and such time!" and I'm already planning the lunch we're having and packing to get going! :lau
Doing my chores up in advance so we can slip away and get on it. Good times!

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Last edited:
With a healthy chill in the air tonight, thought I'd talk firewood. Tools, old time tricks, new technology, scrounging/sourcing free or low cost wood, species selection, woodlot management etc are all fair game. I'll testify to my credibility on this subject having worked as a logger, studying forestry in college, burning wood all my life and studying woodcraft under some of the best oldtimers in the North Woods.

Hmmm...Father was a faller...so wanna take a stab at how many of Mother's dryers his wool-socks-fulla-sawdust he kilt?

Use to brag that although his house furnace was an oil/wood combo...he never had a drop of oil in the tank...no matter.

Moved away many decades ago but never have kicked the wood stove habit. Nothing warms like wood heat.
love.gif

I married a cabinet maker gone grader men...so lots of op to get wood out in the bush. We burn spruce and pine but as of late...it is birch we be bucking to length, loading, hauling, unloading, seasoning, splitting, hauling, stacking and then finally hauling to the wood boxes in the Man Porch for storage pre actual burning.

Was running outta places to stow the rounds!​

I know my Hero uses a Husqvarna, but just a small saw...well small compared to my Father's rig. It has been a loong while but them fallers on the Northern WEsT Coast use to pack the biggest saw possible (Huskies...) with bars that were 36 if not 48 inches long--real grunt work but the trees were huge; Red Cedar, Yellow Cypress and the usual Spruce, Fir and Pines. I know we bought one off one guy that was trying to show off and it became rather too much for him to keep hauling it about in the bush...monster machine but we have it for running in the Alaska mill and don't care how much it weighs versus how portable it is.
lol.png

Had a SIL once say that firewood was easy...well it mighta bin fer her...as she tried not to break a nail as she did the only handling of wood by picking a piece from beside the hearth and tossing in in the stove...

Tompall Glaser:
Never forget that, "Firewood is Easy!" Sure Hon...I guess you don't earn your second slice of booberry pie working up a sweat to keep yerself and the fam warm, eh?

I like doing my part to help in the firewood escapades. That way when it's -50C and the winds are whistling up a Northerner...I can honestly sit inside toasty warm knowing I earned that right to do this slothing too.
lau.gif

So the birch we bin getting is from trees cut for right of ways. Pretty durn sinful, the size of these trees but we have no say in what lives or dies when it comes to pushing pipe so the best we can do is make sure those trees go to good use.

My spouse will cut a load of wood after work...haul it home and I take over the off loading. He runs the splitter (3 ton) and uses the tractor bucket (Kabota) to haul the splits up and start dumping them into temporary piles.

He piles that firewood up high when she is split...

The stacked rounds become piles of splits awaiting stowing them away...

The stacking part...well that is my game.
celebrate.gif

When you burn as much wood as we do...you gotta come up with some way to store it so it dries out and stays dry...thereby the walls of wood were begun. Some people might make investments in stocks and bonds. Not us--no way! Our investment in ourselves is in our walls of wood. Virtual bricks of gold I figure...especially when the weather is cold and you want to survive it in warmth and style. Bring on the wood, the firewood a plenty.
lol.png

Small rounds are nice to burn...so long as they are DRY! Make a good night log, eh!
somad.gif

My walls of wood run 21 now and I am dang proud to keep them topped up and full.

I'd like a few more but heck...how many cords is one suppose to use up?

I don't run the chain saw or the winch to drag the rounds up a plank into the pickup--that's a blue job I guess...and yeh, I said ele winch...got a problem with that concept eh? You see the wood...two rounds fill the pickup box and well the one dog thinks they are rather fine perches up outta the snow and ice.

Right now, we are plumb full up...all twenty-one walls of wood are brimming to over flowing and yet...still more splits sit and wait.

Nice to have that in reserve...you cannot always count that you won't get busy and not have time to manage your firewood needs decently.

I like to stack wood at -10C/14F...no bugs and t-shirt weather after going thru an Alberta winter and coming out the other side. That way I figure the wood has all summer to have those winds blow and dry her out.

Not jest stock piles of firewood but walls of double dutying privacy & wind break too
big_smile.png

Besides, not sure about you guys but I like to see the firewood all stacked up...gives you a nice sense of security knowing it is banked and waiting there. Takes all the urgency out of getting her put up and by.
wink.png

Wood stove runs 24/7 starting end of September and don't stop until about middle of May as far as constant. Might get at best two months (mid June to mid August) of decent no fires at all needed weather here in the igloo.

Gotta be pretty serious about wood as a heat source when you got a wood stove in the Man Porch!
cool.png

So that's my story on our walls of wood...maybe not much in regards to the actual dynamics on the tree falling part though. When we are not harvesting pipeline right of way birch, he kinda targets the dead standing and windfalls--stuff that is already dead and leaves the other live trees to keep on growing. The more they grow, the more wood is available, and more wood means one can surely keep those HOME FIRES A BURNING!
gig.gif

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Same here with us. We have plenty of downed trees and trees that need to be thinned that supply us with our firewood. Mostly Hickory and Oak with a little Elm and Poplar. The hickory goes through the splitter without difficulty and saves our back a lot of abuse. Many times we have a storm roll through in spring that drops an old growth Oak in the timber. We are still harvesting the last one that went down two years ago.It was a twin trunk oak, each trunk over 30 inches diameter. DH had to buy a bigger chain saw just to harvest it.

We have friends who are constantly asking us why we don't just buy our wood from one of the local Amish saw mills. Granted, the cost is good at 15$ a truckload (the last we heard) for wood that is mostly ready to go right into the fireplace is a good price but we get a lot of exercise harvesting our own wood, hauling it to the barn, splitting it and watching the pile grow in the barn.

At the moment we have about 9+ cords ready to go and have burned maybe a half cord so far this fall.

It's just really sweet to look at the stove merrily burning away and know we provided our own fuel to heat our home.
Nice, on the topic of providing your own fuel, we actually had a great time making our own stove too! Of course thats tough to do legally, but as an outdoor / treehouse appliance, its a really fun project

I typically buy wood but did have to have a couple of trees removed last winter. Splitting those now. Either way it's SO much cheaper than heating our house with our gas furnace and nothing like wood heat. We have a Country Flame fireplace/furnace that's ducted to the entire house. We love it!! I will admit that by February I am over dealing with the wood though. lol...

Last edited:
82! Bless her!

I just hated writing those 1000 dollar checks to Amerigas every other month during the heating months.

And yes, we are always hearing from friends how silly we are to harvest our own wood at our age when we have Amish saw mills all around us that sell wood cheap by the pick up truck load.

The truth is, yes they do sell it cheap but a lot of it is slash that is mostly bark with a thin layer of wood on it and doesn't have the proper heating BTUs that we need to keep the house warm. The friends all heat with electric and just don't understand the art of heating with wood. Nor do they understand the physical work keeps us in shape and gives us needed exercise. We tell them this and they just give us funny looks like 'are you nuts?' Actually no, we aren't. Our nearby friends are all morbidly obese and have all the illnesses that go with it. They could use the physical exercise but when we mention that and ask them why don't they heat with wood since they have 200 acres of timber and the list of complaints comes out. Bad shoulder, bad knees, bad back, you name it. True in that DH and I both have bad backs, but we don't let that stop us. We just smile sweetly and ask them what their heating source is when their power goes off. I just love it when they mumble about propane space heaters but they need to pick one up because they are really worried about that.

Truth is that there are lots of strong young Amish men around us who are always looking for work, and who work relatively cheap. Many are even willing to work for firewood in payment.

There is always a way.

Back
Top Bottom