THE FIRST EGG MY CHICKENS LAID

Pics
I got my very first egg Aug 19 from my favorite pullet Martha (BSL) at 21 weeks. She's been going strong, laying 5 the first week and only taking 1 day off the last 2 weeks. A week later my big BO Molly started. And a week ago my australorp and WL both started the same day. I'm already loving the color variety, can't wait for my EEs and FBCMs to add to it.

Martha's first
IMG_0116.JPG

Harriet vs. Betsy first
IMG_0462.JPG

So glad I chose a variety of chickens to get different colors. :)
D463890F-1688-4FFF-837C-6327193D6146.jpg

I'm going to attribute this one to Della since she is the only brown egg layer who's almost overdue. I removed the ceramic eggs from the nesting boxes day before yesterday and found this one in the run this morning. Maybe they weren't quite fully trained after all.
20170910_080327.jpg

Our 5 year old Americana (the only hen to lay a blue egg) laid her first egg about 3 weeks ago. I got her as a 3 day old in 2012! Since then she has laid several more eggs. They are the largest eggs of the flock.
We have 1silver laced Wyandotte, 1 Barred rock, 2 Welsummers, and a Rhode Island Red.

Cool. It may be a double yoke. :)
it definitely was - we've had a few before but they were smaller inside- this had two huge yolks - I went out and bought bacon, which I haven't done in decades and am loving dipping the crisp bacon in the eggs again - I have missed the flavor of the fresh eggs we had when we were young

I'm going to attribute this one to Della since she is the only brown egg layer who's almost overdue. I removed the ceramic eggs from the nesting boxes day before yesterday and found this one in the run this morning. Maybe they weren't quite fully trained after all.
View attachment 1132754

Congratulations! we've had a few that laid on the floor, but it seems to have stopped - now it's a line to the nests!

Congratulations! we've had a few that laid on the floor, but it seems to have stopped - now it's a line to the nests!
I put two ceramics each back in the boxes and found a nice, clean, brown egg this morning. :) Strangely though I found Della back in the nesting box several hours later. So maybe someone else started early. We shall see...

Correction! Della started today with this light tan colored egg in the corner. Not sure who layed the brown one. So, not sure about the brown one in the foreground. I have a welsummer but it seems too light. An I have an ISA Brown I think but she's younger. Thoughts?
20170911_174859.jpg

I put two ceramics each back in the boxes and found a nice, clean, brown egg this morning. :) Strangely though I found Della back in the nesting box several hours later. So maybe someone else started early. We shall see...
it is fun trying to figure this out though, even as frustrating as it can be, we're still trying to figure out if one of our light Brahmas is a rooster - it hasn't crowed or laid yet - maybe a late bloomer - the hackle feathers don't seem to be thin and pointy, so it might be a late developer

Back
Top Bottom