The Front Porch Swing

Oh, my that's pretty! Looks like home to me! I love the mountains...I love that special color of blue they have that varies with the seasons, the humidity and the time of day.

I can't even imagine processing in 25 degree weather!
th.gif
You are one tough lady.

I processed late in the winter for the first time this year and I'll never do that again! I've processed in the spring, summer and fall but never in the winter...it's downright miserable and took me twice as long as it normally does. It seems like the hides are just superglued to the carcass and all things are harder to do with your hands stiff and cold.

If I was ever forced to do that again, I think I'd spread a very large tarp down inside and do the bleed out in a 5 gal. bucket with the bird down inside of it and just skin them also. I hardly ever eat chicken with the skin on anyway so doing the pluck and scald thing isn't worth it to me anymore.

That was in Va, so not all that far from you I don't guess! I live in NC now, but still less than and hour from the area I grew up!

It was frigid! My hands and fingers still hurt! We don't really eat any chicken with the skin on it either so as the temp started dropping I was done with getting my hands soaked trying to scald and pluck! As a kid, my dad taught me to skin rabbits and squirrels by basically just pulling it off of them. I did the chickens the same way, and except for the flight feathers and some of the tail feathers I was able to get it off in one piece down to the feet and then cut it off from there! I was really proud of myself since it was my first time! I even did better than my friend who has processed MANY! I ended up finishing mine, and doing the one she was working on too!
celebrate.gif

Lindz, you are a brave soul. We are in TN on the NC line, and we were -2 this morning. Right now we are the warmest we have been all day....25 degrees.

Congratulations on your processing. It feels really good to have those chickens in the freezer, and know where they came from.
I'm right on the NC/Va line, and was in Va today. It was definitely cold!

Thanks, and yes it does!

Quote:
I'm proud of you too! You sure could teach a few people on this forum how a newbie does it, that's for sure....no emotional residue, just getting a job done. That's how it's supposed to be.
thumbsup.gif

i am offended . how dare that person kill a chicken.. i mean what in the foothills will peta say. really how dare that person raise a chicken and feed the family.
Lol im am proud of you also. good job.
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
i am offended . how dare that person kill a chicken.. i mean what in the foothills will peta say. really how dare that person raise a chicken and feed the family.
Lol im am proud of you also. good job.
celebrate.gif

Good to be home
I totally agree with you!! Good job lindz!!

Bruce I have missed your posts also. It is good to see you on the Front Porch.

Lisa :)

I
[COLOR=800080]A thread for friends to laugh, share, cry, pray, love and just BE together. I'm officially dusting off the front porch swing, bringing out the ice tea and bug spray and inviting friends over for a chat about anything and everything that is good~except it's winter, so we'll just have to pretend we can smell the honeysuckle, hear the bees buzzing and a breeze tickling the wind chimes. :D Pull up a rocking chair, settee or swing and lets fellowship with one another...and lets do it in love for one another. [/COLOR] [COLOR=800080]That's the only rule for all visitors to the group ~[/COLOR][COLOR=006400]"Love thy neighbor as thyself."[/COLOR][COLOR=800080] [/COLOR] [COLOR=A52A2A]ROLL CALL! Checking in(remind me to add your state/country to the list of those visiting so we can see if the whole world will visit our front porch![/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]Great suggestion, TexasLisa![/COLOR][COLOR=A52A2A])[/COLOR] [COLOR=000080]States: WV, TN, TX, WI, GA, PA, UT, NC, WY, OR, IA, MO[/COLOR] [COLOR=000080]Countries: US,[/COLOR]
I would love to join you from Vermont!

Back
Top Bottom