The Front Porch Swing

We continue with a blizzard here, total white out, so I expect the snow will mount up fast tonight. Jake's really loving it and is out there bouncing around, trying to get the poor cat to play with him.
gig.gif
If it pours like this all night we'll not have inches of snow, but feet. It sure is beautiful!!!

I know folks will want to strangle me when I say that, but it is all the same. There's something very primal and beautiful about snows like this and I often wonder how folks back in less progressive eras dealt with all this cold and snow. I'm sure it puts all our whining to shame as they didn't have the best of outerwear, footwear and technology to help them deal with it all.

Hello all. It got up to about 50 today here in my neck of the woods. I'm still cold! I'm gonna turn on the electric blanket tonight and thaw out real good! Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday we'll be back down to single digets at night. Brrrrrrrrr! Like everybody else seems to be experiencing, my birds are laying better than just a few weeks ago.

@TexasLisa... It was those wild bloomers! That roo just couldn't help himself. Mine doesn't like Tweety Bird and yours doesn't like rabbits. hahahahaha

Bee... I need something HOT! I am FROZEN!

We processed 9 chickens today.... in the SNOW! It was about 38* when we started and about 25* when we finally gave up. (We had 14 planned) After the first 3, we had to give up on scalding/plucking because the feathers were just freezing before we could get them off! We just skinned the rest. This was my first actual processing day, and it wasn't as bad as I was afraid it was going to be. I now have 5 fresh chickens to go into the freezer tomorrow! (I've heard to rest them for a day or two before freezing/cooking?)

Anyway... Although it was cold, it was extremely beautiful today! I was able to take my birds to a friend's house, who lives in the county that I grew up in. I always love going back up the mountain, as that is where my heart really is!

Here's a girl that needs some love and prayers, so could you all speak for her? Sometimes when you hurt this bad you just have no words left for prayer, so was wondering if you guys could pray for her. I think her name is Ashley.
O Bee! That poor girl has had her share of sorrow. She will definitely be in my prayers!

TW, this is worse than I thought! I don't have white rabbits on my pink pjs--they are white french poodles taking bubble baths.
barnie.gif
No wonder that rooster ambushed me! I would ambush me.
lau.gif

Lisa :)

Oh, my that's pretty! Looks like home to me! I love the mountains...I love that special color of blue they have that varies with the seasons, the humidity and the time of day.

I can't even imagine processing in 25 degree weather!
th.gif
You are one tough lady.

I processed late in the winter for the first time this year and I'll never do that again! I've processed in the spring, summer and fall but never in the winter...it's downright miserable and took me twice as long as it normally does. It seems like the hides are just superglued to the carcass and all things are harder to do with your hands stiff and cold.

If I was ever forced to do that again, I think I'd spread a very large tarp down inside and do the bleed out in a 5 gal. bucket with the bird down inside of it and just skin them also. I hardly ever eat chicken with the skin on anyway so doing the pluck and scald thing isn't worth it to me anymore.

Bee... I need something HOT! I am FROZEN!

We processed 9 chickens today.... in the SNOW! It was about 38* when we started and about 25* when we finally gave up. (We had 14 planned) After the first 3, we had to give up on scalding/plucking because the feathers were just freezing before we could get them off! We just skinned the rest. This was my first actual processing day, and it wasn't as bad as I was afraid it was going to be. I now have 5 fresh chickens to go into the freezer tomorrow! (I've heard to rest them for a day or two before freezing/cooking?)

Anyway... Although it was cold, it was extremely beautiful today! I was able to take my birds to a friend's house, who lives in the county that I grew up in. I always love going back up the mountain, as that is where my heart really is!

Lindz, you are a brave soul. We are in TN on the NC line, and we were -2 this morning. Right now we are the warmest we have been all day....25 degrees.

Congratulations on your processing. It feels really good to have those chickens in the freezer, and know where they came from.

Back
Top Bottom