The Incubator Thread

Some of the air cell lines look more flat... less tilt (or maybe its just my perception), but I don't know if that's any issue or not. Anyone know if that matters? My current incubation is lavender orpingtons and some are still really flat, and some are tilted well, day 10. So what's the difference and do the flat ones cause any problems hatching?

yes they do look more flat some with a small tilt, not sure its driving me crazy as to what to do!
he.gif
Should I just let them be & keeping the humitity at what it is 48-58% ??? they all are moving strong and growing good but i just don't no what to call normal for the air cell? I did compair to the pic of the turkey egg/ duck and they seem to be about right, I am crazy I put my egg up to the computer to see if they matched up!
barnie.gif
they did is that crazy or what???

Day 3 you aren't going to see much, so you may just have to wait a few days. You should be able to see some spidery looking veins, starting around day 5ish, should be plenty prominent by day 7.
I'm not sure what they would look like if the high heat already killed them.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Alright thank you, I'll candle them this weekend! Thanks.

No one can say if they are a lost cause because "we" do not know how long it was at that temp-----might not been there long enough for the temp in the egg to get that hot. I do not know how you set your incubator-----but just for info-----always set it up for the eggs(turner water etc) and let it run atleast 24hrs AFTER your last thermostat adjust before putting the eggs in to make sure it is stable. If it was a little low and you re-adjust then add the eggs without waiting-----that can be a bid mistake. Good Luck
I'm not really sure how long it was like that either, a couple hours though I'm sure. I had just read an article that said even 15 minutes at 105 will cause the eggs to die. It was pre-warmed, I left it at the notch it normally sits at when I'm incubating. It seemed to be holding temp after I put them in, a little low but holding temp. The incubator is in one of my spare rooms, I keep it closed so the cats can't go sit on it or mess with it. So I know for a fact it wasn't bothered. I'll be extra careful next time after this occurrence. It's been holding perfectly at 99.5 ever since. Not sure what was going on.

Alright thank you, I'll candle them this weekend! Thanks.

I'm not really sure how long it was like that either, a couple hours though I'm sure. I had just read an article that said even 15 minutes at 105 will cause the eggs to die. It was pre-warmed, I left it at the notch it normally sits at when I'm incubating. It seemed to be holding temp after I put them in, a little low but holding temp. The incubator is in one of my spare rooms, I keep it closed so the cats can't go sit on it or mess with it. So I know for a fact it wasn't bothered. I'll be extra careful next time after this occurrence. It's been holding perfectly at 99.5 ever since. Not sure what was going on.

I couldn't remember what day you were on, so I went back through the thread. First you said you set them "yesterday" then on the same day you posted "tomorrow will be day 3". Day 1 is not usually counted until 24 hours after setting, so basically the set day is day 0. So if you set them on a Thursday, hatch day should be 4 Thursdays later. What I'm getting at... if you are on day 6 now, you probably don't need to wait till the weekend, unless you just choose to. You may not see anything yet, so I still wouldn't toss them just yet, but by now you may see something. Ya know... only if you are curious...
wink.png

I saw an English guy on you tube setting eggs, in a Brinsa, bubble bator, and he said the eggs were layed one week ago, and it takes 3 weeks for eggs to hatch, so 2 weeks from now (set) we should have chicks. LOL.

Last edited:
I saw an English guy on you tube setting chicks, in a Brinsa, bubble bator, and he said the eggs were layed one week ago, and it takes 3 weeks for eggs to hatch, so 2 weeks from now (set) we should have chicks. LOL.

You have got to be joking!!??

We will see him on here asking why they are so slow developing! Lmao!

Hatching duck eggs lockdown is Wednesday, So one of the eggs is a rouen and it looks different from the rest its all dark inside air cell looks good and it moves when i do the water test.Do you think it will hatch early? I still have 6 days to go! the rest of the eggs are getting dark yet you still can see movement & veins when candling!

Candle them and then investigate the temp. Issue. I would not call it a lost cause just yet. Hope this helps
1f603.png
Just wanted to update. I candled those eggs that sat at 104-105 for at least 6 hours this weekend, and it looks like they are all growing normally! The duck eggs especially just look a little overly developed for day 9, I'm thinking they might hatch a day or two early due to the temp issue. My light was low on batteries, so it was a little too dim to get a really good look at the turkey eggs, but they all seemed to have blood vesicles, I'll get new batteries and do a better check this coming weekend.

Thanks for telling me to hang onto them!! I really thought they were toast.

Just wanted to update. I candled those eggs that sat at 104-105 for at least 6 hours this weekend, and it looks like they are all growing normally! The duck eggs especially just look a little overly developed for day 9, I'm thinking they might hatch a day or two early due to the temp issue. My light was low on batteries, so it was a little too dim to get a really good look at the turkey eggs, but they all seemed to have blood vesicles, I'll get new batteries and do a better check this coming weekend.

Thanks for telling me to hang onto them!! I really thought they were toast.

Great news! Thanks for the update!!! Continued luck to you!!!

Hi I am in need of some help! Hatching duck eggs today is day 24 could anyone tell me if the air cells in my eggs look ok???
Egg one
https://www.backyardchickens.com/conte
nt/type/61/id/6852622/width/200/height/400

Egg 2

Egg3

Egg 4

Back
Top Bottom