The Rhodebar thread!

Looks like a pullet to me. I think the issue with her was she was not easily autosexed as a chick, whereas your darker chick looked female. Autosexing is an extremely important part of the Rhodebar breed that is why it was suggested that regardless if it turned out male or female it would not be good to breed her as a Rhodebar. She is very pretty though.

Penny

Thank you, the other two that I sold, were pullets, just darker. I really like her. She was a bit hard to autosex..you remember! She was a light yellow chick. The breeder wasn't too sure my photo was showing the coloring right when I showed her, but the chick was yellow..but no spot like on the other light ones. She had a faint chipmunk striping going down her back, that's why I kept her, thinking girl at the time. Pictures again as a baby.

See, no white spot, and a faint chipmunk strip..she is the light one up front of course. So,
I figured I was sexing her by those two things, it's just that all the others I saw sexed were
the darker chipmunk marks, like the one in front of her. Had another hatch shortly after
this one, and the spots on the heads of the males were there!

They look like e+/Ewh heterozygotes to me, but it could be the lighting

It really is the lighting, my camera is nice enough, but with the light on in there, the photos always come out with an orange/yellow tint.
Anyway, that's the pullet as a baby. Really is different that most Rhodebar pullets. She will be fun. I am hoping that they are great layers!

What do I need to do to darken my too light rhodebar rooster?

Use a Sharpie ?

Sorry, I couldn't help it.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom