The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

Well what the heck is a barred rock?? I had ordered 2 SLW and 1 Australorp along with some others. LOL

So what breeds did you order? In those pics I can tell the SLW is the one seolari pointed out. Do you have 2 that look like her? They should have the striping down their backs, black and white.

A Barred Rock or sometimes called a Plymouth (Barred) Rock does resemble the one in the middle like seolari mentioned... but perhaps that is your Australorp. Its hard for me to see in the pictures...

So what breeds did you order? In those pics I can tell the SLW is the one seolari pointed out. Do you have 2 that look like her? They should have the striping down their backs, black and white.

A Barred Rock or sometimes called a Plymouth (Barred) Rock does resemble the one in the middle like seolari mentioned... but perhaps that is your Australorp. Its hard for me to see in the pictures...

I ordered 2 - Golden Buff (Red Star), 4 - Easter Eggers, 1 - Australorp and 2 - SLW. I'll see if I can get a better picture of the ones in question when I get home.

I ordered 2 - Golden Buff (Red Star), 4 - Easter Eggers, 1 - Australorp and 2 - SLW. I'll see if I can get a better picture of the ones in question when I get home.
Kekstorm might be right, but to me from what I can see the middle chick is most likely a bared plymouth rock chicken which you will not go wrong with. The Astrolorp breed when they are that young are black with a white chest and sometimes white on their wings. The middle chick seems to have bars on the middle of her body which is a definite sign of it being either a barred rock or if it has a rose comb it could be a Dominique chicken. The Astrolorp is in very high demand now so what I suspect Happened is at the hatchery did not have that breed and they inserted at Bard Plymouth rock chicken which is very commonly available.

Last edited:
Kekstorm might be right, but to me from what I can see the middle chick is most likely a bared plymouth rock chicken which you will not go wrong with. The Astrolorp breed when they are that young are black with a white chest and sometimes white on their wings. The middle chick seems to have bars on the middle of her body which is a definite sign of it being either a barred rock or if it has a rose comb it could be a Dominique chicken. The Astrolorp is in very high demand now so what I suspect Happened is at the hatchery did not have that breed and they inserted at Bard Plymouth rock chicken which is very commonly available.

I agree ^^ More pics will help determine. Here is a pic of my girls when they were itty bitty chicks:

My SLW: (You'll notice her black and white 'chipmunk' stripes--- similar to the typical Easter Egger)

This is my Barred Rock: (You can begin to notice the 'barring' in her wing feathers, BR also have the whitish 'dot' on the top of their heads, and grey/black going down their legs)

And then this is my Black Australorp: (Australorps will tend to have this patterning on their beak, eye, and temple... but may have more or less white and black on their bodies, but usually always have white first flight feathers as you'll notice in the first pic of her)

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, I have hatchery stock, and so they might not be the best examples of the SLW breed, but they are the 'normal/average/hatchery typical' I believe. Also sorry for posting pics of other breeds, but just trying to help Tika75 decipher her chicks.

I hope these are better. I'm pretty sure the top is a SLW.

The top one is The silver laced Wyandotte the bottom one is definitely a barred rock and it is likely that It is a roo/ male. The Comb is too big for its age which is an indication that it is a roaster.

Yes, you are right, your top chick is a SLW. However that bottom one, I would lean to being a Barred Rock... as in... 95% sure she is a BR. I love my BR, Ethel. She is smart, friendly, and outgoing. You could always call the hatchery you ordered from to inquire what happened to your order. In your other pics, you clearly have your Red Stars and EEs. But they either gave you 2 SLW and 1 BR, or 1 SLW, 1 BA, and 1 BR. Are you questioning whether you got 2 SLWs? Or is it obvious you have two of the SLW?

I picked up two more today to add to the flick, gorgeous 16 week old babies. They are in a little makeshift run so the other girls will leave them be for a bit!

Back
Top Bottom