The Wyandotte Bantam Thread

Beautiful birds i don't know. I think I have a black Wyandotte bantam rooster but not 100% for sure. Would love to start getting into raising these little fellows though along with starting my Swedish Flower Hen flock too.

Hi everyone. I came across this thread and have a question. I received a year old black Wyandotte bantam rooster from a gentleman today when I picked up a year old golden comet from him and I'm trying to make sure this rooster is what the guy said he is. I've attached a photo of him. Hopefully he is a black Wyandotte bantam because I'm really wanting to start getting into breeding and raising bantams. Thanks everyone.
He does look like a bantam wyandotte, but at least in that picture, he doesn't look very true to type. What I mean, is that he doesn't look round and fat like a high quality Wyandotte should. A good place to look at pictures is feathersite The site below is for standard size, but the body line should be the same irregardless of size. http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Wyand/BRKWyand.html This link is to their bantam page. They didn't have a picture of a black one...but I was thinking you might want to look at the pictures just to see the body line.

He does look like a bantam wyandotte, but at least in that picture, he doesn't look very true to type. What I mean, is that he doesn't look round and fat like a high quality Wyandotte should.

A good place to look at pictures is feathersite

The site below is for standard size, but the body line should be the same irregardless of size.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Wyand/BRKWyand.html

This link is to their bantam page. They didn't have a picture of a black one...but I was thinking you might want to look at the pictures just to see the body line.

Alaskan is it possible the rooster I have hasn't filled out enough since he's only a year or is it more likely he's a mix between a bantam and something else?

I really couldn't guess. He could be a mix, or he could be 100% wyandotte and just not very type-y.

I would think that by one year he should be filled out nicely, so I don't think that would do it...but I actually have never had a Wyandotte rooster. The other breed roosters that I have had look pretty good (filled out, no longer young and rangy) by about 9 months. Some of the really long tail feathers take longer to grow in, and there is more filling out as they get older, but I do think that my Marans rooster was the proper body shape by 9 months.

Hi everyone. I came across this thread and have a question. I received a year old black Wyandotte bantam rooster from a gentleman today when I picked up a year old golden comet from him and I'm trying to make sure this rooster is what the guy said he is. I've attached a photo of him. Hopefully he is a black Wyandotte bantam because I'm really wanting to start getting into breeding and raising bantams. Thanks everyone.

IMHO,
smile.png
I would not use this boy for breeding SOP birds. If your looking to breed good pet/layer quality birds he'll do great.

The faults I see right off, I'm no expert by any means, are his head, body, tail, legs and possibly comb. A Wyandotte, standard or bantam sized can be described in terms of three circles. The first circle and largest goes around the body, the body should fit nicely in this circle, the second around the head, which should also fit into the circle and a third around the tail, which you guessed it, should fit in the circle. The legs of a wyandotte must be yellow, from what I can see they look pale maybe even bluish. The comb looks like it has leaders, which depending on where they are and size can be a DQ, I believe. See the pic below that I've included for an example. Just imagine it black for what your looking for. PeakyBeaky has nice SOP bantam sized wyandottes. Also check out the 2014 Wyandotte breeders list. If your looking for breed SOP birds invest in the best you can afford. I learned this the hard way with horses. If your breeding layer/pet quality pick the birds with the best disposition and laying qualities.

The picture was originally posted by delisha and belongs to her. I hope this help with your breeding project.

IMHO,
smile.png
I would not use this boy for breeding SOP birds. If your looking to breed good pet/layer quality birds he'll do great.

The faults I see right off, I'm no expert by any means, are his head, body, tail, legs and possibly comb. A Wyandotte, standard or bantam sized can be described in terms of three circles. The first circle and largest goes around the body, the body should fit nicely in this circle, the second around the head, which should also fit into the circle and a third around the tail, which you guessed it, should fit in the circle. The legs of a wyandotte must be yellow, from what I can see they look pale maybe even bluish. The comb looks like it has leaders, which depending on where they are and size can be a DQ, I believe. See the pic below that I've included for an example. Just imagine it black for what your looking for. PeakyBeaky has nice SOP bantam sized wyandottes. Also check out the 2014 Wyandotte breeders list. If your looking for breed SOP birds invest in the best you can afford. I learned this the hard way with horses. If your breeding layer/pet quality pick the birds with the best disposition and laying qualities.

The picture was originally posted by delisha and belongs to her. I hope this help with your breeding project.

Thanks CashandTracy I always love honest opinions it helps in making decisions especially about things I'm not real experienced with yet and chickens are one of them. He'd be used as a laying/pet breeder. I'm more interested in the eggs and my step son is interested in selling the chicks as pets but even though my rooster is going to be a laying/pet breeder I'm still going to be very picky about the hens I put with him. I completely understand what you're saying about getting the best you can afford I've raised horses most of my life as well and like my dad always used to say you get what you paid for lol. Thanks again I know now he's not up to par as a SOP breeder.

Back
Top Bottom