The Wyandotte Thread

I have always trimmed the spurs on males and it has nothing to do with how it affects the females or if they are aggressive towards me, those things are irrelevant.
I trim them because at some point it makes it difficult for them to walk correctly because they are rubbing against their opposite leg and it makes it difficult for them to mount a hen correctly.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, I have done my best to put together the best breeding stock I could find. I need to work on my blrw a little but I'm happy with the rest. I also have silver laced that is not shown, and am hoping to add some silver pencilled from peakybeaky, and maybe some cuckoo also.

I have always trimmed the spurs on males and it has nothing to do with how it affects the females or if they are aggressive towards me, those things are irrelevant.
I trim them because at some point it makes it difficult for them to walk correctly because they are rubbing against their opposite leg and it makes it difficult for them to mount a hen correctly.

How do you properly trim spurs? I honestly never tried to trim them because my boys haven't had any problems and someone a long time a ago told me if you don't do it right they would bleed out and die. Is this true or did I get misinformed?

How do you properly trim spurs? I honestly never tried to trim them because my boys haven't had any problems and someone a long time a ago told me if you don't do it right they would bleed out and die. Is this true or did I get misinformed?

You could just pop them off with a pair of pliers.

Back
Top Bottom