Top Ten Worming and Wormer Misinformations - Graphic Pictures!

Also worth noting, I contacted the seller and explained what was going on. She said she just wormed them in October so they were "due again". Which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you just wormed in October, you shouldn't have to do it again this quickly right? I've never heard of worming geese more than 2x yearly.

Am I crazy? Lol

Can you collect a bunch of fresh poop and have it checked for worms?

Maybe? I mean collecting the poop shouldn't be THAT difficult. Especially from the quad. I would have no way of knowing what came from which one.
The other part would be trying to find a vet who can check it. I have vets around here, but not sure if they'd take just a sample and test it for me or if they're familiar with bird parasites. My avian vet is like an hour from me, so the soonest i could get a sample in would be Monday.

Almost sounds like it would be easier to just treat....or no? Does it harm them to treat preemptively?

If you don't know what worms they have, and you still want to treat, you should treat for as many worms as possible. It really would be best to have a fecal done.

Also worth noting, I contacted the seller and explained what was going on. She said she just wormed them in October so they were "due again". Which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you just wormed in October, you shouldn't have to do it again this quickly right? I've never heard of worming geese more than 2x yearly.

Am I crazy? Lol

What did she use, how much was given, and how was it given?

What did she use, how much was given, and how was it given?

I've asked that question and just heard back! She said Ivormectin sheep drench about 5 to 7 drops.

Thanks for the input! I'm going to give my bird vet a call in the morning and see what she recommends. I'm kind of worried about one hen anyway. That's what brought me to ask about worming. She's a little less active than the other 3, and lays down a lot. She gets up when you go in the yard or pen, and moves around fine. There's no visible symptoms like coughing or sneezing or anything. I've checked her vent for an egg and there's nothing visibly wrong or alarming, and no egg can easily be felt.

It's not that there's something obvious wrong, it's more like little things. She just acts like something is a bit off. Like she doesn't feel well. I also saw what *could* be bloody droppings, but now I'm not sure. All poops I've seen since look normal. So that's something I'm not confident about one way or another.

@casportpony

I spoke to our ONLY avian vet around here and she was not much help. She doesn't specialize in geese and wasn't able to recommend anything. She said if shes still having issues Monday to being her in for a fecal and a check.

Last night I gave them some Omega Egg Maker in their feed to give them a vitamin and mineral boost. I also put out some oyster shell which they tore into. Today the previous owner did say she wondered about whether she was missing something in their diet and they might have a deficiency.

She seems brighter and a little more active today thankfully! She's swimming too which is a good sign. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she keeps improving.

Should I go ahead and worm? What do you recommend for just the 4?

Thanks so much for all your help!

I'm gonna say my flock, at least one, has roundworms. What should I treat them with?

@casportpony

I spoke to our ONLY avian vet around here and she was not much help. She doesn't specialize in geese and wasn't able to recommend anything. She said if shes still having issues Monday to being her in for a fecal and a check.

Last night I gave them some Omega Egg Maker in their feed to give them a vitamin and mineral boost. I also put out some oyster shell which they tore into. Today the previous owner did say she wondered about whether she was missing something in their diet and they might have a deficiency.

She seems brighter and a little more active today thankfully! She's swimming too which is a good sign. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she keeps improving.

Should I go ahead and worm? What do you recommend for just the 4?

Thanks so much for all your help!
Sorry I didn't see this until now... How is she doing?

Back
Top Bottom