Tractor Supply Chicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The tractor supply stores around central Oklahoma are only selling what they call "usual pullets" red and white. They also have some blue/silver cochins that are not sexed. I was very disappointed in the stores here. Also, you have to buy a minimum of six. We have 13 chicks now and they refused to sell us less than 6 reds.

Sometimes, feed stores will act as a "middle man" between customers and the hatchery.  That might be
what the order form is for -- something above and beyond what they will be carrying in-store so that you can have a custom order.  You should be able to find out which hatchery the feed store orders from.

How would you go about that?

The tractor supply stores around central Oklahoma are only selling what they call "usual pullets"  red and white.  They also have some blue/silver cochins that are not sexed.  I was very disappointed in the stores here.  Also, you have to buy a minimum of six.  We have 13 chicks now and they refused to sell us less than 6 reds. 

Keep going back. They will get other varieties. It's store policy to sell no fewer than 6 at one time. You can split that with someone, though, and they don't all have to be the same. My TSC gets chicks 2x a week during chick days; all different kinds, including mixed bantams.

How would you go about that?

You order. There is a minimum order of 25 for chicks, you must have increments of 5 per breed. Either they or you fill out the form; they call in to their hatcheries to see who has the breeds you want, you get your ship date, and then you pay in the store (instead of the hatchery). They ship via PO.

We got in 300 chicks last week and some ducks. Tsc doesn't properly train the employees on chick care. I've been going in on my days off to help them take care of the chicks. We've had straight run barred rock, red pullets that mostly look like red sex link, and pullets that management didn't tell us what kind they were. It's not necessarily that the people who work there are dumb, it's that management doesn't educate people like they should when dealing with live animals.

Back
Top Bottom