Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Pics
Until now I thought the whole Trader Joe chicken thing was a tale...very interesting and we just got a Trader Joe's up here in KCMO....

hee hee hee, got 9 serama eggs in the 'bator.... Time to join another thread... Inubators anonomous!
YAAAYYYY. How 'bout now? LOL
Its the morning of day 22 now, and so far, this is the most successful hatch I've had so far. All 24 went into lockdown, and right now, 20 are out of their eggs. 6 are in the brooder and 14 are still in the hatcher. 2 more eggs are pipped and 2 with no action yet. I used a hova bator forced air incubator to incubate to 18 days, and used the LG still air modded with a fan for hatching. Its horribly hard to get humidity up in the LG btw. I will post a few pictures in a minute here.

In the brooder, its mixed with my coturnix quails for now, and a farmer's market egg (looking like EE), all hatched one week earlier.

In the hatcher

The humidity did finally go up at day 20 and now its very high and lots of condensation.

Last edited:
Great job!
thumbsup.gif

Keep us posted on how many boys/girls you get....You'll know for sure early in a couple of weeks as the roos are very apparent.

hmm one of my new TJ chicks has a big hole at the knee, its not able to stand up. Can see the joint bone and tendon. I wrapped it with bandages for now, but thats sad for that chick. Not sure if its a birth defect or the others pecked it.

Its alive but its leg is bandaged up so it cannot bend it, so its laying flat on its stomach. It hasn't even learned to stand up yet. I hope this wont retard it's growth or development. I put blu kote on the wound. It seemed to start healing when I opened the old bandage, so hopefully it can recover. What I'm afraid of is that it cannot eat or drink. I have it separated in a shoebox in the brooder with feed and a shallow cup for it to drink. I hope it can eat and drink.

Back
Top Bottom