Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Pics
That does sound bad, I hope it will heal?

I thought I'd post some cute 4 week old pictures, they're so adorably ugly now! LOL

"George, turn that TV off RIGHT NOW!

Guess what? Chicken b**t!

"Who ME?"

Definitely only two hens so we'll have to try again ;P

Last edited:
Out of the 5 Trader Joes Eggs that hatched on May 6th- I ended up with two roos and three pullets. The roos got re-homed, and the girls I kept along with 14 other pullets.

TODAY.... ta da!!! I got 3 beautiful, tiny, chaulk white eggs in the nest! They are 19 weeks old and all three laid an egg today! YIPPEE!!
wee.gif

I hope these early birds will give a cue to the others ----- LET THE LAYING BEGIN!!

I have to add- that I had white leghorns before and swore I would never have them again because of their flightiness- but these three are the sweetest, most mellow, and friendliest of my whole flock. I LOVE THEM!! and starting laying at 19 weeks old with almost an egg a day- I'm going to love them even more!
love.gif

Yah, I try to hold them and pet them n stuff every day. I hope it'll work? I want them to at least not freak out if I want to pick them up or make me run around after them, I'm too old for that! LOL They are cute little buggers, and maybe because I'm expecting very stupid birds, they seem to have a little intelligence in there?! I'll be sad to see the boys go, and hope they are taken by someone who wants to have a flock protector! I'm sure they'll do a good job!

Congratulations on the eggs!
celebrate.gif
I'm sure they'll get bigger as time goes by
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Yah, I try to hold them and pet them n stuff every day. I hope it'll work? I want them to at least not freak out if I want to pick them up or make me run around after them, I'm too old for that! LOL They are cute little buggers, and maybe because I'm expecting very stupid birds, they seem to have a little intelligence in there?! I'll be sad to see the boys go, and hope they are taken by someone who wants to have a flock protector! I'm sure they'll do a good job!

Congratulations on the eggs!
celebrate.gif
I'm sure they'll get bigger as time goes by
thumbsup.gif
Cluck CLuck- The white leghorns are the smart ones in my flock. Very curious, and actually very calm. They come and look at what I'm doing- turning their heads back and forth - I can see them working it out. When I opened the nest boxes last week (they were blocked off so they wouldn't sleep in there) the leghorns were the ones looking in and checking them out. Something was different and they knew it- the others didn't seem to notice. I even have one who comes to sit on my lap- and she nuzzles into my palm completely relaxed. You're right- the eggs will get bigger in time, I love the look of pullet eggs- they look like toy eggs. When I got rid of the boys- the flock calmed down- they were the ones stirring them up and the minute they were out of there, peace returned- so I hope that happens to you too!.

All I have is leghorns. 9 of the California Whites, and 10 of the Buff Leghorns. They are all smart. The Cali Whites are great at problem solving.
For example, Several of them have figured out that even with ther wings clipped, they can climb the ramp to the coop doorway, hop fly into the open door then onto the roof. From there into the branches that are still another 4 feet away!
I find the Buff Leghorns are developing a little slower, but are great foragers. They almost always get the fast bugs like grasshoppers.

All I have is leghorns. 9 of the California Whites, and 10 of the Buff Leghorns. They are all smart. The Cali Whites are great at problem solving.
For example, Several of them have figured out that even with ther wings clipped, they can climb the ramp to the coop doorway, hop fly into the open door then onto the roof. From there into the branches that are still another 4 feet away!
I find the Buff Leghorns are developing a little slower, but are great foragers. They almost always get the fast bugs like grasshoppers.
Love this Nomibear! Are yours all great egg layers? I'm so excited at the prospect of getting 6-7 eggs a week from each of them rather than the 2-4 a week I get from my older flock (Wyandottes and EE's) The young flock has Cinnamon Queens, Orpingtons, Autsralorps, and EE's - all the same age as the leghorns- so it will be fun to see who does what in the egg department
smile.png

It's so nice to hear such positive reviews of the leghorns! My husband was so gung ho on getting TJ eggs, as they were cheap, and laid well, but I was worried about their reputation of being unsocial. However, I took heart in the reviews I found that said their hens were really nice if a bit flighty. Hearing something really recent from you two makes me even happier ;)

Just 14 er 15 more weeks or so till egg time, LOL

Last edited:
Chick4chik I am Hoping they will be good layers. They are all 20 weeks old today. I found the FIRST two eggs just last night! I can see that the Cali whites developed faster, and it may still be a few weeks for some of the buff Leghorns. They are just getting the red combs and waddles...
P.s. Please let me know how the Astralorps do. They are one of the breeds I would like to add to my layers:)

Last edited:
chix4chix

Sounds like you'll be flooded with eggs! (btw, a good solution for too many eggs is angel food cake)

Cinnamon Queens are my all-time FAVORITE laying birds... You'll be happy with the quantity of large brown eggs.

- - -

cluck-cluck

Even at that gangly 4-week teenage state they're cute in a kind a prehistoric way.

It's so nice to hear such positive reviews of the leghorns! My husband was so gung ho on getting TJ eggs, as they were cheap, and laid well, but I was worried about their reputation of being unsocial. However, I took heart in the reviews I found that said their hens were really nice if a bit flighty. Hearing something really recent from you two makes me even happier ;)

Just 14 er 15 more weeks or so till egg time, LOL
Cluck Cluck- I was also worried about the leghorns ESPECIALLY since I'd had a bad experience with them before. But, I had purchased them already laying age that time, so they had not bonded with us. This time- I held them every day starting when they hatched, and even when I candled them I talked softly into the shell- not sure if it made a difference but they are total sweethearts.
Chick4chik I am Hoping they will be good layers. They are all 20 weeks old today. I found the FIRST two eggs just last night! I can see that the Cali whites developed faster, and it may still be a few weeks for some of the buff Leghorns. They are just getting the red combs and waddles...
P.s. Please let me know how the Astralorps do. They are one of the breeds I would like to add to my layers:)
Nomibear- My older flock didn't start laying until 25 weeks old (wyandottes) and the 32 weeks old for the EE's - so I was SUPER delighted that these girls are already up and running at 19 weeks old! One of them was slower to develop on the comb and wattles too, but she certainly caught up because they all laid on the same day- which is unusual I think. About the Australorps- they are FUNNY! They have the quirkiest personalities and LOVE to land on my shoulder when I'm working outside- total people birds- and the talk talk talk- almost a chatter of small chicken sounds like they are trying to communicate- I'll be interested in their egg laying abilities too, since they are known to be almost as prolific as leghorns :)
chix4chix

Sounds like you'll be flooded with eggs! (btw, a good solution for too many eggs is angel food cake)

Cinnamon Queens are my all-time FAVORITE laying birds... You'll be happy with the quantity of large brown eggs.

- - -

cluck-cluck

Even at that gangly 4-week teenage state they're cute in a kind a prehistoric way.
Peep_Show- I hope you are right in the "flooded" with eggs part! With my older flock of 6 hens I never had enough eggs to not have to purchase them from the store. This time with 13 new girls - I'm hoping to not only have enough for my family, but also have extras to give away. I will have white, brown, and blue/green eggs- LOVE it!!

Back
Top Bottom