Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

:yuckyuck

I stopped letting my mom come in the store with me because she always "helps me" by asking the clerks, alway a disaster. I just do my thing sneaky and search all the cartons.

I just lost my T.J. hen that I Hatched last year. Appears to be a heart attack. I miss her, she was such a fun bird. I'm wondering what the average age people are losing these birds? I keep thinking about the conditions of how production hens are kept and can't imagine they are fed a nutritious diet.

Oh, so sorry to hear about that.
hugs.gif

I worry about my TeJae. She's a protein loader, but loathes scratch and isn't into fruits and veggies. That kind of diet cannot be healthful. Her eyesight is also bad, which may be why she opts for high-octane food.

I don't know what the lifespan is on these birds, but an egg-a-day every day for a couple of years undoubtedly does not add to longevity. Most production birds are good for a year and a half of steady laying and then off to Campbell's Camp or a battery hen rescue. No idea what their *true* lifespan is.

Again, sorry for the loss of your bird. They are endearing.

Oh, so sorry to hear about that.
hugs.gif

I worry about my TeJae. She's a protein loader, but loathes scratch and isn't into fruits and veggies. That kind of diet cannot be healthful. Her eyesight is also bad, which may be why she opts for high-octane food.

I don't know what the lifespan is on these birds, but an egg-a-day every day for a couple of years undoubtedly does not add to longevity. Most production birds are good for a year and a half of steady laying and then off to Campbell's Camp or a battery hen rescue. No idea what their *true* lifespan is.

Again, sorry for the loss of your bird. They are endearing.

Maybe mix some green sea kelp into her feed.

Will she eat kale?

She turned up her beak at a lovely kale, tomato, scratch snack. Chowed right down on the ricotta in the ricotta & sunflower seed mash up snack....and she l-o-v-e-s canned mackerel. Unless there's visible protein in the feed pan she just walks on by.

Just looked at the stats on the girls in the coop. In the past 57 days since she started laying the TJ's bird has produced 54 eggs, all Large or X-Large. She hops in the nest first thing in the morning and nary a sound as she just does her biz and then goes about her day. She's my superstar.

clap.gif

Just looked at the stats on the girls in the coop. In the past 57 days since she started laying the TJ's bird has produced 54 eggs, all Large or X-Large. She hops in the nest first thing in the morning and nary a sound as she just does her biz and then goes about her day. She's my superstar.

clap.gif
I can't wait for mine to start laying!

They are 15ish weeks old now.

Back
Top Bottom