Treatment for Peahen with possible infection

It's also on a bunch of websites. The only place I have not seen it is in a veterinary book. Go figure... yet people still want to believe it will work. Sigh...

-Kathy
I see it the most in the Peacocks Only group. Tried helping, sometimes doesn't work.

Last edited:
It's also on a bunch of websites. The only place I have not seen it is in a veterinary book. Go figure... yet people still want to believe it will work. Sigh...

-Kathy

And the worst most often quoted is from Hopkins peafowl web site. If you were on FB and followed your hero Peacockman, you would see the picture of the medication page all the time. But, hey, Hopkins has been a major producer of peafowl for years... right?

-Kathy

And the worst most often quoted is from Hopkins peafowl web site.  If you were on FB and followed your hero Peacockman, you would see the picture of the medication page all the time.  But, hey, Hopkins has been a major producer of peafowl for years... right?

I never want to sau anything bad about a fellow pea person, but that page is full of errors.

-Kathy

Gentle peapeople, I have been incredibly grateful for all the info that is out there, and my first peachicks would never have hatched, let alone survived to reproduce, if it weren't for the efforts by folks like the bigger breeders, the oldtimers and the UPA folks (some now "former UPA folks"), who took the time to create websites, post photos and knowledge articles, chat about peas and yes, sometimes go out on a limb and venture guesses.

I had zero -- ZERO -- local resources and was working with eggs laid in a pile of my alfalfa by a feral hen and then abandoned in the heat during an incredibly hot spell. I knew nothing. I knew no one. I was in a small town with no one who could help me.

The contributions those folks made got me through a very difficult first hatching. I scoured every internet resource I could find.

Over time, I learned that pea knowledge is still evolving, both in genetics and in husbandry. Ideas about medical care vary from expert to expert, and region to region. It is a complicated field, and not static -- things change with time.

I consider it my responsibility to learn. I keep looking, I keep reading. Sometimes information conflicts. Who's right? Who's wrong? It's not always so clear. It's my job to try to sort it out and keep my birds healthy. Sometimes there's more than one way which will work. Sometimes there is no "best" way. Sometimes what works for one person does not work for another. I had nothing hatch last year. This year I am having a good hatch. I'd like to think it's the changes I've made -- some subtle, some a bit innovative, some that would be common sense to some people and crazy to others, I bet. But without the back and forth, give and take and freely proffered advice, I'd never have hatched my first pea, much less these.

My sense is simply gratitude for what has been freely shared.

Happy Easter
jumpy.gif

(My job at this moment is to go clean the brooders and re-arrange the peababies...)

And the worst most often quoted is from Hopkins peafowl web site. If you were on FB and followed your hero Peacockman, you would see the picture of the medication page all the time. But, hey, Hopkins has been a major producer of peafowl for years... right?

They always quote him. I agree I don't like to say bad things on other peafowl breeders. Especially larger, more experienced breeders. Parts of that website shoot up flags. The one that shoots up red flags is the Green peafowl area.
I never want to sau anything bad about a fellow pea person, but that page is full of errors.

-Kathy
X2. There are just things that do need to be addressed. We just express our concerns. Such as when reading the wormer part with mixing it in water. I feel like the one thing I've been repeating the most lately is that the only time someone should put medicine in water is when it says it in the instructions or if it says water soluble. Putting a wormer in a treat or something they will devour works better than water. Even though orally is the best but not all can do it. That's why I would advise if they can't do it orally put the recommended dosage in something they will eat quickly. There's another part that shoots up red flags to me on that site and that's the Greens.

Gentle peapeople, I have been incredibly grateful for all the info that is out there, and my first peachicks would never have hatched, let alone survived to reproduce, if it weren't for the efforts by folks like the bigger breeders, the oldtimers and the UPA folks (some now "former UPA folks"), who took the time to create websites, post photos and knowledge articles, chat about peas and yes, sometimes go out on a limb and venture guesses.

I had zero -- ZERO -- local resources and was working with eggs laid in a pile of my alfalfa by a feral hen and then abandoned in the heat during an incredibly hot spell. I knew nothing. I knew no one. I was in a small town with no one who could help me.

The contributions those folks made got me through a very difficult first hatching. I scoured every internet resource I could find.

Over time, I learned that pea knowledge is still evolving, both in genetics and in husbandry. Ideas about medical care vary from expert to expert, and region to region. It is a complicated field, and not static -- things change with time.

I consider it my responsibility to learn. I keep looking, I keep reading. Sometimes information conflicts. Who's right? Who's wrong? It's not always so clear. It's my job to try to sort it out and keep my birds healthy. Sometimes there's more than one way which will work. Sometimes there is no "best" way. Sometimes what works for one person does not work for another. I had nothing hatch last year. This year I am having a good hatch. I'd like to think it's the changes I've made -- some subtle, some a bit innovative, some that would be common sense to some people and crazy to others, I bet. But without the back and forth, give and take and freely proffered advice, I'd never have hatched my first pea, much less these.

My sense is simply gratitude for what has been freely shared.

Happy Easter
jumpy.gif

(My job at this moment is to go clean the brooders and re-arrange the peababies...)
We understand that there are differences between one breeder to another. It's even better when they share what works. It's best, in my opinion, to take some advice from a couple sources and test what works. I always find it amazing and important that we're willing to share info for free.

I'm with you on getting info from books, but I never trust just one book. What I like to do is find as many sources as possible and come up with a plan that will work. Sources to me are the books (other than Gail Damerow's, lol), my vet, other vets, and published studies.

This is a good example of why one should do lots of homework...

I have no problem with the praziquantel, though I do think that the dose should be closer to 10 mg/kg. The problematic one is the niclosamide... I have a funny feeling that I read someplace that this drug is toxic to geese. Guess all I'm trying to say is that before we use a drug that we should do lots of research on it and the species we want to use it on.

Albendazole isn't mentioned in this one book, but it is in others, and in many posts. What if you were a newbie with pigeons and decided that you wanted to use your Valbazen to treat them? One might be in for a rude surprise, because one book of mine says that it's toxic to pigeons and doves.

Anyway, enough for now... gotta go get some feed. Be back later to start the 40K post.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom