True Blue Whiting info please?

Here’s the eggs I ordered. They took several days to get here. I think there was a day or 2 delay for some reason.
IMG_9648.jpeg
IMG_9647.jpeg

Just to update this, I have 10 out of 16 eggs developing normally at day 12 now. At day 7 we removed 5 eggs that weren't developing. Then at at day 11 we removed one more that had a blood ring. The remaining eggs seem to be healthy with visible movement when I candled them. We are set to hatch on December 10th. Kim at dragonfly has been helpful answering my questions.

Just to update this, I have 10 out of 16 eggs developing normally at day 12 now. At day 7 we removed 5 eggs that weren't developing. Then at at day 11 we removed one more that had a blood ring. The remaining eggs seem to be healthy with visible movement when I candled them. We are set to hatch on December 10th. Kim at dragonfly has been helpful answering my questions.
It sounds like good progress!

It sounds like good progress!
Thanks, I agree. I candled them again at day 15 and saw 3 that were questionable and 7 that look good. I left the questionable ones in the incubator and will candle one more time before lockdown.
Should I expect any difficulties at hatch time on shipped eggs? Would it be a good idea to hatch them round side up or on their sides?

Thanks, I agree. I candled them again at day 15 and saw 3 that were questionable and 7 that look good. I left the questionable ones in the incubator and will candle one more time before lockdown.
Should I expect any difficulties at hatch time on shipped eggs? Would it be a good idea to hatch them round side up or on their sides?
Shipped eggs should be hatched up in cut down egg cartons.

It depends on the incubator though if you can do that.

I don’t think that will be a problem fitting in the incubator.
They have been incubating and turning on their sides for the first 17 days. You think it’s ok to rotate them upright for hatching? It sounds like a good idea, but I also don’t want to mess up a good thing.

I don’t think that will be a problem fitting in the incubator.
They have been incubating and turning on their sides for the first 17 days. You think it’s ok to rotate them upright for hatching? It sounds like a good idea, but I also don’t want to mess up a good thing.
Yes, hatching them up is best for shipped eggs even if they were on their sides. You cut the bottoms off of the egg cartons and then tilt the eggs back, big end up, so the the biggest part of the air cell is facing forward.

You should find picture of this but if you do not find them, let me know and I can post some of mine if I can find them.

I appreciate the advice @ronott1

I also asked the person I received the eggs from and she recommended to keep them on their sides. I'm gonna go ahead and leave them on their sides this time. I will keep the cut carton method in mind for the next time if these eggs on their side end up failing.

I went and candled them one last time and saw movement on 8 out of 10 eggs and saw a couple with what appears to be saddled air sacks. Those eggs I positioned so the majority of the air sack was at the top of the egg. Now I am turning off the egg turner, raising the humidity to 60% and put on lockdown.

I have the first egg pipping this morning. Strangely enough it is pipping on the pointy end. That was actually one of my concerns for hatching them upright is that they would pip at the bottom and get stuck. Almost all of the eggs are active and wiggling I’m excited to see what happens next.

Back
Top Bottom