Tyson Chicken

Correlation, as they say, is not causation.

NPIP is the Fed Gov't solution to the problem of mass transit of poultry (as result of allowing USPS to transport chickens) which allowed previously isolated pockets of disease (such as P T - pullorum typhoid and salmonella) to be rapidly spread around the nation, at risk to both household and commercial keepers. The problem arose much earlier - Congress was typically slow to the effort, and the individual States were slower still to enact state laws requiring NPIP certification (or similar, such as vet inspection) for poultry to cross into their State.

As a broad policy measure, selective quarantine is still the "go to" of choice for many governments, as seen most recently in the numerous nations which required a negative COVID test before boarding an international flight.

The big difference, of course, is that unlike COVID lockdowns, NPIP participation is optional. and as a joint individual/State/Federal program, its been less subject to rent seekign behaviors by large donors/corporate influence (i.e Tyson, ConAgra, Pilgrim's Pride, the various hatcheries, and all the rest) than many other Gov't programs I can name.
I can see how much you value this community and how important your NPIP status is to you. Thanks for adding to this conversation.

Rules only apply to peasants, and they exist to keep us contained within our box where farming us is efficient

Whenever some new law is erected, rest assured that some politician is making a lot of money somewhere

Back
Top Bottom