!!!URGENT!!! Neighbors dog killed all of my ducks. This is not the first time.

That's so sad. That was a frequent occurrence at one place we lived in the country. The neighbors dog kept coming over and grabbing my hens. I talked to the neighbor and told him to keep the dog away from my home or I would shoot him. We were about 1/8 mile from this guy. The dog made it a point to keep coming back. The neighbor just said, do what you have to do. I used a rifle and put bird shot in it. I didn't want to kill the dog, but I wanted to keep him away. He grabbed a hen a few days later and I got a good shot in his rear. He dropped the hen and never came back. If your comfortable with something like that, it may work. I imagine it took him awhile to lick out all that buck shot.

As of 2019 that would be a federal crime in the United States. Anyone following this advice in the US will be committing a felony. This sub-forum seriously needs to sticky the 'Preventing Animal Cruelty and Torture Act'.

As of 2019 that would be a federal crime in the United States. Anyone following this advice in the US will be committing a felony. This sub-forum seriously needs to sticky the 'Preventing Animal Cruelty and Torture Act'.
My Sheriff says on your property do what you have to protect your live stock.

My Sheriff says on your property do what you have to protect your live stock.

A lot of states have laws that allow you to use lethal force on active threat against you or your property, sure, but that's not what I'm talking about. It is 100% illegal to shoot a dog up with birdshot just to chase it off. Any Sheriff telling you otherwise is just ignorant to the law on a federal level.

Read a post about a man charged with cruelty for shooting a dog for killing chickens. The dogs owner found his dog inured (not dead)and took it to a vet who saved it .The man who shot it had to pay the vet bill and still went to jail

Read a post about a man charged with cruelty for shooting a dog for killing chickens. The dogs owner found his dog inured (not dead)and took it to a vet who saved it .The man who shot it had to pay the vet bill and still went to jail

Yep it's a crime that is taken very seriously in 2024. Animal crushing, which is an umbrella term for causing bodily harm, can carry up to 7 years in prison. You'll also land yourself on multiple abuser/offenders registries monitored by the FBI. There is a high level of correlation between people who abuse/harm animals and people who harm humans. It's a topic that is treated way too casually on here, which leads to a lot of bad/irresponsible info being spread around.

First of all, I told what happened to me in the 80's. This was not advice. Second, you have the right to protect your property and your livestock. That's not torture. It's torture to watch your animal to get pulled apart by someone else's dog who is trespassing on your property. Where's the preventing torture to your animal? My advice would be to put up no trespassing signs up and also check with your own sheriff. Dogs can't read, but owners can. If they are not containing your animal and allowing it to harm or kill another's property, its the owners responsibility. I've never seen a dog owner that got off with no responsibly after their dog did damage. I hate all kinds of cruelty. I have stopped my car more than once to rescue a dog being beaten.

Here is your act:

https://aldf.org/article/laws-that-protect-animals/

Last edited:
First of all, I told what happened to me in the 80's. This was not advice.

I figured you were referencing the past that's why I mentioned the year it was signed. You may have not intended it as advice, but plenty of people posting similar thoughts do, and that's how people will read it. Your post also came immediately after a mod posted that the thread had just been cleared up from mentions of illegal activities, which shooting a dog with birdshot is in 2024.

I figured you were referencing the past that's why I mentioned the year it was signed. You may have not intended it as advice, but plenty of people posting similar thoughts do, and that's how people will read it. Your post also came immediately after a mod posted that the thread had just been cleared up from mentions of illegal activities, which shooting a dog with birdshot is in 2024.
A lot of states have laws protecting LIVESTOCK as well. And is not as cut and dry as you make it sound. I am not advocating just shoot or harm anything but there are also laws that protect me and my livestock.

you have the right to protect your property and your livestock. That's not torture.
In at least some places, you have the right to protect your own livestock by KILLING a dog, but not by doing anything that would injure the dog without killing it. So kill yes, birdshot no, in at least some parts of the USA at this time.

(Laws vary, so anyone should check the laws where they live, not rely on what someone else says on the internet.)

Back
Top Bottom